Photo

Gift advice needed for budding cinematographer.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Matthew Gee

Matthew Gee

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

There's a chance he reads this board, so I may have to be slightly discreet, but I'm trying to decide what to get my little brother for his Christmas/Birthday present this year. He's recently been getting deeper and deeper into film and photography and was accepted into his college's film department earlier this year. I found him an old 8mm at an electronics thrift store that seems to be in decent condition, but I have no idea what the model is and if it really works. My initial idea was to get him some kind of package of film/processing/scanning for the camera, but I'm not sure if this is the best route. He does have access to the school's cameras, so maybe I should just get him a bunch of 16mm film? My budget isn't huge, hence the 8mm notion. I found this pro8mm.com website and it comes with a decent starter package, but again I wouldn't be sure of the film. I would like to spend around $100-200, but I can convince other family members to chip in if there's a great deal or super option. Am I better off starting with just the film and letting him shoot as much as possible and worry about getting it processed later? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

Sending you a PM.

CineLab

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks