Photo

Will a windshield on my mic make a difference?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rob Thomson

Rob Thomson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:47 AM

Hello,

I've just begun making my own short films, and I use a green screen for a lot of scenes. My problem is that the only place big enough to hang the green screen is in my garden. I'm currently recording the audio with the rode video shotgun mic and I pickup a lot of wind interference. I want to know if a deadcat/windshield (whatever you want to call it) would reduce the interference to an acceptable level. Here is an audio example recorded from the rode videomic in my garden:

http://soundcloud.co...-0630-2/s-Jn3PN

I'm also just beginning to learn sound design and, at the moment, I can't get an acceptable balance when I use audacity to try and remove the excess sound (It's either still windy, or I sound like some kind of robot).

I'm on a very tight budget, so please tell me if a windcover would be a good investment, taking into account I'll be manipulating the recordings with audacity. (Are there any 'before and after' examples on the internet that might help my decision?)

I know sound is like the most important thing, so if you think it definitely wouldn't make much of a difference please say, as I'd rather work and save up for a decent boom or lavalier's if that's what it takes.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
Rob.

P.s. If the sound clip is confusing your brain somewhat, it's from an x-men parody we're in the process of making. : )

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Opal

Visual Products

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Glidecam