#1 Paul Tackett

Paul Tackett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

So I have a shoot coming up monday. I am the DP. Who makes the shot list? Me, the director, or both? Please elaborate or your answer. Thank you.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:22 AM

So I have a shoot coming up monday. I am the DP. Who makes the shot list? Me, the director, or both? Please elaborate or your answer. Thank you.

It's the director's job to prepare a shot list, they usually have to prepare something for the 1st AD, so that they can prepare a schedule. Ideally they should do this in discussion with the DP, although they may do it with the storyboard artist or even both. However, schedules may not allow all the people involved to be available.

The director is the person telling the story, so they should know how they wish to visualise it. In the end, different directors have their own way of working, but having discussions is pretty common. It's the director's call which way they want to work and if they want the DP to make the shot list it's the director's decision to do this, not the DPs. Some directors are more actors directors and they may allow the DP to decide the coverage. Other directors prepare detailed storyboards, which they show to the DP, who will interpret them with the director.

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio