Emma Watson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

first time owner of a super 8 camera here

I originally ordered a canon 514xl because I couldn't find a 310xl from any reasonable sellers.

But then I also ordered a canon 814 auto zoom electronic because I like how it has 24 fps and man exposure. those were my main two reasons for getting the 814.

I just got it in the mail today and tested out the 814. I noticed when I pull the exposure knob out and turn it, it doesn't change the exposure, the meter is just stuck on the left. But the meter works when its in AUTO.
So that is pretty disappointing.... is this pretty common with these cameras?
Everything else seems to be working on the camera I think.

When in auto on the 814 am I suppose to see the aperture close and opening because it doesn't look like it or sound like it. So im not even sure the AUTO is actually working, the meter works, but not sure if its actually moving anything.

So now I think I might just keep the 514xl because its sooo much lighter, was cheaper, and at least it has the EE lock so I can kind of have control over exposure.

But I noticed power zoom on the 514 is busted... but thats not a huge issue for me.

Also on the 514 on auto, am I suppose to see the aperture ring closing and opening? I pointed it to a bright light and held down the EE then released it in a darker area but I cant really see the hole closing and opening. It just looks static to me...
So now im not even sure if any of the cameras actually work.

Do I need to put in film in it to meter right? If thats the case then I guess I can do that and try it.

#2 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

hiya, Sorry I'm not familiar with an 814xl battery requirements, so unsure if the light meter requires additional 1.35v button cells. I've a 1014 auto zoom somewhere with the same problem, the metering needle gets stuck!. My advice is to power the camera up, open the rear cartridge door and look through the gate while the camera is running, move the camera from a light to dark area and see if the auto iris is responding whilst still looking through the gate. You should see the aperature blades responding. The same technique can be applied to the 514xl but its a bit more difficult given the camera is side loading. Back to the 814xl, the needle should be controlled by rotating the exposure dial on the side of the 814. If no response in auto or manual mode, and assuming batts are all good, give the camera a gentle tap and see if this free's the exposure needle.

FYI, 514xl zoom only operates when the camera is running, also I've experianced quite a few 100d carts jam in my 3x 514xl cameras, though never in the 310!!

#3 Ian Payne

Ian Payne
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:32 AM

The 814 electronic manual iris dies eventually due to perishing rubber. Not much you can do to it.
http://www.nakanocam...14eeerepai.html

#4 Miguel Loredo

Miguel Loredo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

This is the weak point of this great model. Fortunately it is very easily repairable (for the proper person, of course), so don't hesitate to repair it if you need the manual exposure.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Opal

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS