Photo

Need advice on the best lighting kit to buy?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Greg Banfield

Greg Banfield

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hi everyone
I will try to keep this brief.
I plan to start shooting short movies after xmas, mainly horrors shot indoors.
I am unsure what kit to go for. My budget is £300ish.
I want something that can cast soft light for day for night techniques but also I may need the occasional hard light for lighting a prop in the background and such.
What kit will give me the most flexibility with light strength, power, colour and direction for £300?

#2 Toby Orzano

Toby Orzano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Electrician
  • Portland, OR

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

For that meager budget I think you would get the most bang for your buck from a few par cans. Get blue gel, diffusion and beadboards to cover all your bases. Bounce them off the beadboard for soft light, shoot through a light diffusion for more direct light, use blue to balance your daylight scenes. Get cheap kit stands for them as they are lightweight, maybe some cardellinis as well for different mounting options. Get some practical stuff as well—zip cord, sockets, quick-ons, dimmers, china balls and a variety of different wattage bulbs (i'm assuming there are equivalents to these for european power systems). Duvatyne to control/skirt the china balls. Also use practical desk lamps/table lamps/floor lamps in your scenes, using the appropriate wattage bulbs and/or dimmers to balance to your ambient levels without the lamp shades blowing out. Draping a bunch of white christmas lights all over the ceiling can help with soft ambience as well if you can keep them out of shot. Maybe invest in a used 650w fresnel if you need to make some clean shadow effects for your horror/suspense stuff, but that would take most of your budget on its own.

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

CineLab

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc