Photo

Color Shift In Footage...Cam issue of user error??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kip Kubin

Kip Kubin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

The above link is from a camera test I just got back....the first two clips have the issue....the second seem not to.

Aaton XTR
Cooke 9-50 w Arristd to Aaton adapter
Fuji 250t (no CC filter)
Pola

When I started filming my lens was not totally mounted correctly...I discovered that by noticing that it wouldn't focus to infinity. (first two clips...esp the second one)

I stopped filming and remounted the lens that seemed to fix it. (Second two clips)

Now that I have the footage I notice every so often the color shifts like you are rotating a pola or something.

Will an incorrectly mounted lens cause this problem or do I have a camera issue I need to have looked at?

Any insight would be appreciated

#2 Douglas Underdahl

Douglas Underdahl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

I just barely noticed the color shift, I think, and if it's there, I would guess that it's from the stock that you bought. Was it old? Stored in a warm room? But really, it's so subtle that I wouldn't sweat it.

I noticed the vignette, or slight darkening of the edges of the frame, a lot more, and I as a viewer just think this is intentional.

Gotta watch those lens adapters when shooting film. With video, you can often see when something goes out of focus, but with film you may find out only when you get it back from the lab. If your ground glass is set correctly, then what you see is what you get, and the XTR has a great viewing system, but if you are tape focussing and the lens adapter is on crooked or not fully seated, then your focus marks might be off and you get your film back with, for example, everyone's ears sharp but their eyes slightly out. This is especially true if you are shooting wide open, T stop wise.

As for the color shift, I think it's fine and I wouldn't worry about it for this project, but you might want to nail it down for the future. I don't think it was the lens (Cooke 9-50 is a great lens, by the way)

#3 Kip Kubin

Kip Kubin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

Thanks Douglas

I may post the question in the film stocks section of the forum as well. Maybe someone else has had the same issue with 35 etc.

The film was bought from a film company I work with from time to time...that being said I "think" it was properly stored...but could be as old as 3-4 years old.

Kip

#4 Dirk DeJonghe

Dirk DeJonghe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Kortrijk,Belgium

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:03 AM

Regarding the vignette, the Cooke 9-50 doesn't cover the Super16 area at the wider end of the zoom. The Cooke 10,4-52 was the same lens with a different rear element for full S16 coverage.

#5 Kip Kubin

Kip Kubin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

I'm planning to crop to 4:3 for delivery...I think it covers from 15mm on.

Edited by Kip Kubin, 22 December 2011 - 07:00 PM.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

CineTape

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Technodolly

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post