4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Bartok

Paul Bartok
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hi I love film but I've never worked on it beyond super 8, so next year I'm thinking about shooting a short film on 35mm specifically super 35mm before film really dies off. Ive noticed abit of a fire sale going on with film atm.

Anyways I'm just wondering how much Lab fee would be for around 2000ft and does the fact its super 35mm make a difference,
also i got a quote for around $3000 for a 4k scan do you guys thinks that's a bit expensive for 2000ft and if your wondering why I need 4k, if its the last time I work with film i would like to get the most out of it other wise why really bother.

I love film but lets face it, its dead and the RED camera's are amazing, almost equal.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12162 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

I'm just wondering how much Lab fee would be for around 2000ft

Ask the lab.

and does the fact its super 35mm make a difference,

Not usually, but mention it.

also i got a quote for around $3000 for a 4k scan do you guys thinks that's a bit expensive for 2000ft

How's it being done - on a slow film scanner like a Northlight, or on a realtime device like a Spirit? Is it supervised or a one-light? How is the material being handled and presented to you?

Does sound a bit spendy in any case but without knowing the details it's hard to say.

P

#3 Paul Bartok

Paul Bartok
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

[/size]

Ask the lab.

Not usually, but mention it.

How's it being done - on a slow film scanner like a Northlight, or on a realtime device like a Spirit? Is it supervised or a one-light? How is the material being handled and presented to you?

Does sound a bit spendy in any case but without knowing the details it's hard to say.

P

thanks for the info, any labs anyone can recommend,
It thinks its a Spirit, its just a one-light to DPX files

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2069 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

You're making a lot of blanket statements that I can only guess are meant to be red meat for this crowd.

Good thing to try film before "it dies". I think you may find your assumptions about how great a RED is may be re-thought after you shoot 35mm and have a good colorist work on it.

While 4k seems to be the rage for RED users, there's little reason to go over 2k unless you plan on re-framing, zooming or something special in post. 4K will MASSIVELY slow you down. If you decide to release your project for IMAX you can always go back and re-scan at 4k. Theatrical releases are more often than not made from 2k or HD masters, not 4k.

Just shoot it right from the beginning; something that cinematographers learned the hard way.

2000' for processing should be about $400 or less.
Transfer to HD should be no more than $750. 2K maybe $1000. Both with good colorists from a decent transfer house. Chances are you can beat those prices with a little negotiation.

#5 Paul Bartok

Paul Bartok
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

thanks for the insightful info, I do like the RED camera but i certainly agree that it is no match for 35mm, especially with its Bayer pattern up scaling which no red user seems to acknowledge.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC