#1 George Parker Mann

George Parker Mann

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:14 AM

I'm in Los Angeles, I have a film degree but no real professional set experience. I'm looking to take a training course to give me some more hands on experience and maybe make myself more desirable for work, or at least less incompetent. Someone recommended learning Avid, and while I'm sure I would enjoy it I'm much more of a set guy than an editor. Currently I'm looking at Steadicam or Red One training. Due to costs, if it came down to one, which should I go for? Alternatively, what other sorts of courses would you more strongly recommend? I'm honestly open ended as far as career trajectories go so specific cameras, lighting kits, rigs, anything that might give me an edge on actually getting work to begin with would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

You could do one of the camera assistant workshops, there are a few around, but the good ones should give you a lot of hands on and learning the correct procedures from the top 1sr A.C.s. You can progress, but it's a good starting point and you can work for more people as a camera assistant than you can as a just starting out Steadicam operator or would be DP straight out of university.

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Abel Cine