gaining camera dept experience

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Liam Miller

Liam Miller
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

Hey Guys. I'm looking for a little advice. I'll start with a short background on myself.

I'm 22 years old, and a year ago I graduated from film school. My whole life I've always wanted to work on big-budget features on the camera crew. Four months ago I moved to LA from the East Coast after I finally decided I had enough money saved. I came out here not knowing many people, but I've managed to snag a few free gigs on some low-budget features (and I've even been paid on some of them after I've demonstrated my work ethic). I have been told I moved out here at the wrong time of year (September) and that work will pick up, however, recently work has been really really dead for me (December). I feel I've reached a bit of a dead end at the moment.

Some people have told me to work as an intern at a rental house and PA whenever possible to keep money coming in. After some research, few rental houses are taking on anyone new, and there are few near where I live. The exception, Panavision, isn't taking on anyone new. A short I worked on as a 1st AC recently (for free) had a camera operator from a big Showtime series DPing it. We got along great and he has offered to help find me Camera PA work in the New Year. While I'm excited for this, I don't want to remain completely reliant upon it (after only being out here a few months I've had my fair share of paid projects falling through). My friend sends me Production Weekly reports, which I use to apply for Camera PA/trainee work a lot. As most of the projects start shooting in the New Year, there is still a chance I could hear something back. I've also been told that I should have tried places like Louisiana (where projects are supposedly "crew hungry"), however I just moved to LA and need to try to make things work before I pay to move again.

What other routes could you suggest I take? I've been hesitant to take on a regular job should a crew gig be available to me, however I'm at a point now where I'm going to need to find a regular full-time hour job to keep up with my rent and bills.

Thanks for any tips you could give me :)

#2 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3072 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

Try contacting The Asylum. The pay isn't the best, but they are very busy and always looking for crew.

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Technodolly

Abel Cine

The Slider

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Willys Widgets