dean tsolakis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:58 AM

G'day People,

Just wondering if i could call upon the experience and knowledge of this forum in terms of conclusively defining what percentage of a heads load capacity can be utilised

for the best Full variations of camera movement without having to compromise creatively on any shots?

I've been told on more than one occasion from company reps. that only about 50% of the stated load bearing capacity should be used? like 20lbs for a 40lb rated head

I have a RED One kit w. Cooke 18-100mm coming in around 42 lbs, was considering a Sachtler Video 20P ( 44 lbs ) but i don't think thats realistic now

One another subject has anyone ever used a Vinten Vision SD22 ??? or older Cartoni C40 ?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Dean

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:19 AM

here is a link that explains the weight load capacity for a Sachtler Video 18, which is smaller than the 20...

http://www.bandpro.c...&product_id=142

the article claims a weight load variance of 4 to 40 pounds.

I think one can go 60% to 70% of the maximum load without having issues over the long term use of the tripod, however 50% is probably the optimal range.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

I have a RED One kit w. Cooke 18-100mm coming in around 42 lbs, was considering a Sachtler Video 20P ( 44 lbs ) but i don't think thats realistic now

At that weight I'd tend towards tripods intended for 35mm type work, perhaps a Video 25 or a Horizon in that manufacturer's range would be the smallest. You're always better with a larger head well within it's capacity, than a smaller head straining. The Video 18/20 are more intended for ENG or 16mm film work and they're great for that, although I don't think I'd want to push them beyond about 30lbs as the normal working weight. I think you're getting into 150mm bowl territory then.

#4 dean tsolakis

dean tsolakis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:50 AM

Yeah thanks guys,
Any thoughts about Cartoni C40 vs Vinten Vision SD22??

i've never had to go beyond 100mm before

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

Yeah thanks guys,
Any thoughts about Cartoni C40 vs Vinten Vision SD22??

i've never had to go beyond 100mm before

Both of those have the 150mm bowl or flat base type option. I haven't used either of those models, but I'm not hugely taken by the Vintens I've used, but tripods are personal things and you really need to try them for yourself.

#6 Jaron Berman

Jaron Berman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

You're not gonna damage anything on that caliber of tripod by going a few pounds over - 42lbs feels like a ton when you're handheld or lugging it around carefully but in reality - that's a tiny amount of weight for engineered materials like steel and aluminum...even plastic. The bigger issue is proper balance. A video 20 head can certainly support the weight of that kit, but it MAY or may not balance it - and what's the point if the head isn't working as its designed - to make your shot easier. The less effort you use to control the shot the smoother it'll be, so obviously proper balance can make/break the shot itself. But as you likely know - you're probably gonna spend about the cost of that lens on the tripod.

I have used a number of the new vintens, and actually really like them - i find their fluid system to be infinitely better than Sachtler, though less common in the "film" world - most of their products are geared towards broadcast incl. massive box lenses. They tend to have much tighter weight ranges - I'd guess because in the broadcast world there's less day-to-day swapping of accessories and configurations - so they can build a head maximized to a smaller weight range. In feel, I think they feel on-par with Oconnor, perhaps smoother in some cases (if the conner is poorly maintained). One thing I LOVE about vinten is that on basically every model from the vision 100 on up, they have an adaptive dampening - if you start a pan and need to speed up, then slow down, the fluid adjusts. You can whip-pan into a slow move without changing drag settings - it's pretty incredible and actually makes following unmarked actors a LOT easier. Not sure what they call this technology but its pretty amazing and keeps you from winding up the legs on a fast move - so you get a perfect stop.

Sachtler is a LOT more common because they take a beating in rental fleets and are very flexible in their weight capacities - and if you're renting the same head/sticks out every day with 100 different camera configurations, those are both important points. They tend to work as well when 10 yrs old and beat-up as they do new - if you like the way they work when they're new! They certainly aren't bad, I just prefer (personally) vintens and oconnors more.

I've never been a big cartoni fan, but like Bryan said - its all personal preference. He doesn't like Vinten, I do - ask 10 people get 20 opinions :) If you can get your hands on all the possible heads obviously thats best. And if you're interested in a vinten try calling a local tv station and drop by - if they have real studio cams they will likely have vinten or cartoni support of about that size or bigger

#7 dean tsolakis

dean tsolakis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

G'day Jaron,

Thanks for the info, at this stage i think i definitely need a to go into 150mm territory, and i agree with you regarding the Vintens and primarily orientated around studio work,

every single one iv'e seen for sale has ground level spreader!! can't ever seem to find one with a mid level spreader ;-( And regarding there resale value being soo much lower than

a Sachtler i guess it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with there quality, just the market there in?

This adaptive dampening sounds interesting, wonder if the older vision SD22 ( replaced by the vision 250 ) has this feature?

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

CineTape

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

CineLab

The Slider

Visual Products