dean tsolakis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:47 AM

G'day People,

Forgive my ignorance in this topic, don't know much about Camera support in general

Was considering a Cartoni head with Mitchell compatibility, I myself reside in Australia where i think 150mm ball is predominate as in Europe i suspect,

My RED one personal kit will never really succeed 45 lbs, so 150mm ball makes sense to me, and it seems easier to find legs for Mid Level Spreaders than

with Mitchell flat mounts, i Hate ground Spreaders!!!! only because of location shooting and versatility

I would like to hear your views about this subject, sorry if this topic has been posted previously

Regards,
Dean

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:51 AM

Not sure if you are in some sort of hurry, this is for a class question, or what, but I really see no reason with this question in particular, to post it multiple places. It's a question about heads, not a stock you might have underexposed, some sort of horrible mishap, a shoot in 2 hours, etc.

Please follow proper courtesy and the etiquette here of not posting the same question all over the place. It clutters the place up and basically asks people to answer the same question in different spots (think about it). Thanks.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:00 AM

The 150mm bowl should be fine with your rig. If you want to want to use a mid level spreader, its non availability with a Mitchell mount will make the decision for you. I suspect the reason for them not having the option is that the mid level spreader has come from a documentary/news background and the Mitchell is from a film drama/commercials background, which tends to use the heavy duty range of tripods.

Often the Mitchell mount is used on the dolly and having a compatible head is useful for that, but you can get a bowl adapter anyway. As mentioned in the other thread, the Mitchell mount is keyed and much more solid, it's the mount you use with a gear head.

#4 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:23 AM

Please follow proper courtesy and the etiquette here of not posting the same question all over the place. It clutters the place up and basically asks people to answer the same question in different spots (think about it). Thanks.

He posted it here because another forum member suggested he should.

Posted Image

#5 dean tsolakis

dean tsolakis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:20 AM

Yeah Thanks for that Chris, Appreciate it! Some people just go off the deep end, don't they?

#6 Doyle Smith

Doyle Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

G'day People,

Forgive my ignorance in this topic, don't know much about Camera support in general

Was considering a Cartoni head with Mitchell compatibility, I myself reside in Australia where i think 150mm ball is predominate as in Europe i suspect,

My RED one personal kit will never really succeed 45 lbs, so 150mm ball makes sense to me, and it seems easier to find legs for Mid Level Spreaders than

with Mitchell flat mounts, i Hate ground Spreaders!!!! only because of location shooting and versatility

I would like to hear your views about this subject, sorry if this topic has been posted previously

Regards,
Dean

Good question. One element not mentioned is that with a heavier camera/lens/gearhead type (Panaflex/6:1/1000'mag/Panahead) rig, it is quicker for a trained asst. to level a flat-top Mitchell tripod or tweak the 4-way jack screws on a dolly than to wrestle a 150mm ball with a big load. That said, in the 45# range you have w/ your Red you are probably better off w/ a ball head.

On the ground spreaders, I hate 'em too. A carpet square with two grommets and sash cord ties work much better.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:20 AM

Really? So you're never, ever going to put a zoom on your camera? You add standard stuff to a body like a cinetape, an MDR, an onboard monitor and then an angie 12:1 with a 6x mattebox and it's more than 45# and that's not even including the head yet.

#8 Natalie Cremer

Natalie Cremer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hello, Chris Keth!

The Cartoni head should be fitted with a Mitchell adopter plate which is sold by independent shops or rented by rental houses.

The carpet idea instead of a spreader is good.

Good luck,

Natalie

#9 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

I loathe ball heads and tripods. For 16 they are OK but for 35 go with a mitchell. It sucks when they slip and you have to crank the tie down.

#10 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

I loathe ball heads and tripods. For 16 they are OK but for 35 go with a mitchell. It sucks when they slip and you have to crank the tie down.

I agree Tom, but Mitchell can be very hard to find in Europe and maybe down under. He might find it impossible to find a dolly without a bowl mount.

That has been my experience in eastern Europe at any rate.

#11 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hello, Chris Keth!

The Cartoni head should be fitted with a Mitchell adopter plate which is sold by independent shops or rented by rental houses.

The carpet idea instead of a spreader is good.

Good luck,

Natalie

In my opinion, adapter plates generally aren't acceptable substitutes for the correct tools. Adapters just add slop in places where it's not acceptable.

#12 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Spreaders suck and adapter plates get lost or misplaced when you need them. There are no short cuts in film, only more efficient ways of doing things the right way.

Glidecam

The Slider

Abel Cine

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc