2 replies to this topic

#1 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

Any advice on metering light with an extreme color cast (for a dSLR)? I'm talking effects filters, totally outlandish music video stuff. My worry is one channel will get saturated (not to mention the 4:2:0 color space or however bad it is) and this is particularly an issue with a very deep color on the key light.

In general I try to expose at least a stop under with a deep blue green or red key light? Maybe more? Good idea? bad? Will my meter (a Sekonic) read different colors differently or does it respond to all light equally? Thanks!

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

Why would you meter? Shoot tests or just look at the histogram.

If you're shooting highly coloured scenes, it might be even more worthwhile than usual to use something like 5DtoRGB, which will do a much better reconstruction of the subsampled colour channels than most other software when you use it to convert your h.264 material to something more editable.

P

#3 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

Why would you meter? Shoot tests or just look at the histogram.

Does the 5D display RGB histograms or just one for brightness? If it's the former, that would be helpful. For the sake of consistency and to get my ratios right I prefer to meter, but since each color will likely start clipping a given channel at a different point from the next, it's probably futile to just guess "one stop under" as I've been doing--so I can see the histogram being much more helpful for this particular video.

If you're shooting highly coloured scenes, it might be even more worthwhile than usual to use something like 5DtoRGB, which will do a much better reconstruction of the subsampled colour channels than most other software when you use it to convert your h.264 material to something more editable.

P

I'll look into it. Thankfully I'm not doing post, but that might be great in this case.

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio