#1 Nicholas Davis

Nicholas Davis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:39 AM

Hey guys, long time reader, new poster. I have acuired a k35 zoom to go along with my primes, does anyone know of the BEST support for this lens, I am building a new system that could be 19 or 15mm, leaning towards 19, if you could help me out from experience or send me to a discussion on this it would be very much appriciated. Thanks!

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1728 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

One solution would be 2 semi-circle brackets that screw together with a support rod coming off one. Needs to be fitted to a non-rotating part of the zoom, like the zoom index ring. Measure the diameter and have a machine shop make one up. The support rod would also need to be custom machined to the right length, depending on the lens support you use. Arri lens supports have a couple of mm of height adjustment, from memory it's something like 94mm from centre of lens port to support.

The other alternative is to find a ready-made bracket appropriate to your lens support that is slightly larger in diameter than the fixing point of your lens (index ring or whatever) and use a spacer ring, rubber strip or camera tape to get a snug fit.

It's worth spending some time getting it right, a heavy zoom incorrectly supported can distort a camera lens mount and throw out the flange depth. When a zoom is properly supported the mount locking ring should lock and unlock smoothly.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS