#1 Nicholas Davis

Nicholas Davis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:39 AM

Hey guys, long time reader, new poster. I have acuired a k35 zoom to go along with my primes, does anyone know of the BEST support for this lens, I am building a new system that could be 19 or 15mm, leaning towards 19, if you could help me out from experience or send me to a discussion on this it would be very much appriciated. Thanks!

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

One solution would be 2 semi-circle brackets that screw together with a support rod coming off one. Needs to be fitted to a non-rotating part of the zoom, like the zoom index ring. Measure the diameter and have a machine shop make one up. The support rod would also need to be custom machined to the right length, depending on the lens support you use. Arri lens supports have a couple of mm of height adjustment, from memory it's something like 94mm from centre of lens port to support.

The other alternative is to find a ready-made bracket appropriate to your lens support that is slightly larger in diameter than the fixing point of your lens (index ring or whatever) and use a spacer ring, rubber strip or camera tape to get a snug fit.

It's worth spending some time getting it right, a heavy zoom incorrectly supported can distort a camera lens mount and throw out the flange depth. When a zoom is properly supported the mount locking ring should lock and unlock smoothly.

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Tai Audio