#1 Darrell Ayer

Darrell Ayer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm wondering if it's totally uncommon or ever been in practice to use a tilt shift lens for extablishing shots. I'm not refering to that "miniature" effect that has become a fad but the use of these lenses to produce a more architectural style for exteriors. To straighten out the perspective lines and give a formal look to building exteriors?
I'm interested in examples of this technique being used or if it has even been attempted?

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

David Mullen has a nice collection of stills from split diopters which equate to a kind of stepped tilt affect, not for the miniature affect but for deep focus.

But I see you're after examples of the shift affect - I know that either one of or both of Koyaanisqatsi or Baraka had shifted images where they even went so far as to control the shift in shot.

Nowadays I think many would opt for shooting a wider frame then fiddling/fixing perspective in post instead (with the attendant punch in and resolution loss).

#3 Darrell Ayer

Darrell Ayer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

Chris,
I am refering to the use more for perspective correction than for some focus effect. I'm moving from photo to cinematography and I have a friend who does alot of 4x5 view camera work. I'm just curious if this is distracting or if it has a knowen place in motion work.

I love Baraka, and I'm going to look for shot where this could have been used. I just have a feeling it was used in classic Twilight Zone episodes and other things...

#4 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

I shoot 4x5" all the way up to 11x14" - it's nice to meet others who get it when it comes to tilt/shift.

I mentioned the split diopters as pretty much all discussion re. tilt/shift here turns into talk about tilt effects only (miniature effect, selective focus, and the deep focus in low light scenarios), then David turns up with his Star Trek stills. All very interesting, but not shift.

Before you watch Baraka remember, it may have been Koyaanisqatsi - it was a shot of some ruins if I recall - but then if you like the films then there is no hassle in searching it out ;)

The motion shift - as in actually racking the lens offset while tracking/panning was very distracting as you put it. But just like in stills, taking architectural photography as the obvious example, if your shot is locked off and there isn't too much movement across the shifted feild to give away extreme distortion (a bird flying maybe?) then yeh why not use a shift lens. %99 of veiwers wont know the difference, although they will hopefully appreciate the composition for what it is (without the comparison).

I've used them in 8x10" stills portraiture sometimes. Had the camera as low to the ground as I could get it pointing up at the subjects face then shifted to widen the head relative to the shoulders - kind of a foreboding effect, works well with certain subjects (you can see thier brains through thier nostrils). No reason it couldn't be done in cine.

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post