Photo

Need MOTION DETECTOR to Trigger Sony EX1 ??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 George Duncan

George Duncan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

I have a Sony EX1 and I need to buy, or have someone build, a devise that will trigger the camera via a motion detector.

In other words, I want to set the camera up, and when something moves in front of it, the motion detector triggers the camera to shoot for x number of seconds.

This devise can be wired to the camera or remotely, as long as it works.

If anyone knows where I can buy such a thing, or have one built, please let me know. Or, if you will build it for me.

Thanks for your time.

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Depending on a few things yet to be determined, there are lots of ways this can be done...

What is the nature of the moving subject and it's surrounds, and both with respect to the perspective and position of the camera ?

If I still had my EX1 I'd build one for you, but without it I'd have to opt for some physical method - something actually pushing the button - which is kinda fun, but relatively unreliable and far from an efficient use of design time.

Best would be something that uses the camera output as its input (looking for peaks in a time delayed difference mattes for instance) and its on/off output would mate electronically with the cameras remote inputs.

#3 George Duncan

George Duncan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

Depending on a few things yet to be determined, there are lots of ways this can be done...

What is the nature of the moving subject and it's surrounds, and both with respect to the perspective and position of the camera ?

If I still had my EX1 I'd build one for you, but without it I'd have to opt for some physical method - something actually pushing the button - which is kinda fun, but relatively unreliable and far from an efficient use of design time.

Best would be something that uses the camera output as its input (looking for peaks in a time delayed difference mattes for instance) and its on/off output would mate electronically with the cameras remote inputs.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for answering my question about the motion detector for the Sony EX1.

A physical way of punching the on/off button on and off would be fine. Electronically, would work as well. Either way is fine with me IF it works.

The camera will be set up on a tripod, outdoors, relatively close to an AC outlet. When an animal or human passes in front of it, within 10'-15' it would trigger the camera and shoot a burst for as long as the animal or person remains, then turn the camera off again when there is no longer any movement.

The camera would be on all the time, but would only shoot when motion was activated, and stop shooting when no longer there.

Would you be willing to build this for me, or do you know someone who could?

Thanks for your time.

George DD.

#4 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

What sort of time frames and budget are you looking at?

An quick way would be to have the camera feeding a video signal to a laptop using as difference mattes or similar in max/map/jitter or processing and all those other similar programs. Get an output somehow to trigger a solenoid (have the camera in latch mode), a last resort bodge is to have an area of screen pulse on and off with a light sensor on it, actually the difference maybe output might even be appropriate for that. The light sensor would trigger the little solenoid. You'd need a little logic in between to make it work appropriately. But the 'cost' of this is a laptop with the camera at all times, pity the EX1 can't output difference mattes to it's own LCD. With access to the cameras OS this could all be done in camera, no idea why it isn't a feature (hello natural history!).

Maybe I'm missing the elephant in the room and there is a much easier way.

I talk about this openly instead of in a PM as I'm a bit busy at the moment with university. But then again, timeframe and budget ? (best in a PM)

#5 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Maybe I'm missing the elephant in the room and there is a much easier way.

I was :rolleyes:

Posted Image

just hijack the output or solidstate relay or whatever they use for switching the AC to run a little DC solenoid button pusher - or investigate any wired remote options for the EX1 etc...

Just a bit of work focusing the thing appropriately to push it into false positives rather than false negatives

#6 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

This is the sort of thing the electronics tech I work with builds for people all the time.

You can check out his website at synccine.com

#7 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

I've met Glenn, the guy Dom refers to and can vouch that he'd be ideal for a job like this.

Abel Cine

CineTape

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc