#1 Brady Hall

Brady Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hello everyone,

I am shooting a short film on 16mm B&W KODAK TRI-X Reversal Film 7266, I was curious on how to use my Dslr as a light meter. With the film speed at 200, shooting at 24fps, what would I set my Canon Rebel t1i's shutter speed at to expose correctly?

Thanks,
Brady

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

1/48th (or 1 50th or 1 60th all relatively close) assuming a 180 degree shutter...
But, of course you should know a DSLR's exposure is in no way a comparison to film, least of all reversal film.... and you would be much better off spending the $200 or so on a real light meter, or finding someone's to borrow.

#3 Ari Davidson

Ari Davidson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

^ What Adrian said.

An entry level light meter is worth it's weight in gold. Seriously. I used a Sekonic L-398 throughout school, and almost a year after I got out. Plus, any camera just gives you reflected readings, to some degree. Separate yourself from the crowded DSLR pack, and get a light meter Posted Image

#4 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Tri-X is notoriously hard to expose and a third stop slower under tungsten than under daylight. In theory the above (1/50) will work (although some 16mm cameras have 1/60 shutter speeds or finders that eat 1/3 stop of light), but I agree--just borrow a meter.

Edit: Re: the above answer, there are lots of us in the dSLR crowd who use meters, I'd like to think most serious dSLR shooters use meters.

Edited by M Joel Wauhkonen, 23 January 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#5 Brady Hall

Brady Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

I am trying to get a hold of a light meter, as I have used them on my other 16mm films. I am just making a 5 minute short for class, so I needed a way to measure exposure with a tool I had. Thank you all for your help, I hope to afford a light meter soon.

#6 Kip Kubin

Kip Kubin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Grab a Gossen Luna-Pro off ebay

Got this tip from Roger Deakin's forum.

Great Cine meter..however, it will be used...so check it's accuracy...local cam shop or friend with a Sekonic.

But mine is spot on and is way faster and easier to use than a newer digital model.... you can adjust for filters and quickly calculate over and under for any speed of filming @ 180 shutter.

I tried to use my DSLR for a film light meter...the readings were really off compared to my Gossen and the internal meter in my Aaton.... so I just trusted the meter and the results were and have been perfect.

#7 Brady Hall

Brady Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

I bid on some light meters on eBay, specifically the Gossen Luna Pro as Kip mentioned. However, I do not know if I will get one in time. You guys convinced me to use a light meter, so I saw a SEKONIC FOOT-CANDLE LIGHT METER for rent (8 dollars a weekend, which is the length of my production.). This should be sufficient, yes?

#8 Alex Haspel

Alex Haspel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • vienna, austria

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

nevermind, already answered. should have refreshed the page :)

Edited by Alex Haspel, 24 January 2012 - 12:18 PM.

CineTape

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera