• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

I know we have a lot of people here cutting on Macs. Looks like we all bet on the right horse folks!

Proud to say I've been a 100% dedicated Mac user since 1984. Microsoft products & PCs are just inferior, there isn't much more that can be said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-16712089

R,

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

You think Final Cut Pro X should be rated according to those figures ? They represent the success of all of apples products.

iPhone, iPad and iTunes/Appstore for the most part.

The picture is a little different in other peoples minds:

http://arstechnica.c...ry-and-fast.ars

http://arstechnica.c...s-concerned.ars

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

The company as a whole puts out great products. FCP is a great edit program, certainly better than either Avid or Premiere that's for sure. And I've used them all.

R,

#4 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

What were/are your thoughts on the new Final Cut Pro X ?

Would you be happy running it on a hackintosh, macbook pro or imac ?

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'm not running FCP X right now. I'm running the last version on my MacBook Pro 17", with a larger side monitor.

Getting the 17" was a smart move on my part since it comes with a built in slot for the Sony cards the Alexa uses.

R,

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

I'm not sure how appropriate it is to judge the quality of a company's products based on how much money they've made. Few would importune the quality of what Arri puts out, for instance, but I doubt they've made thirteen billon dollars.

And yes, most of Apple's success is based on selling tablets and smartphones, and there are better tablets and smartphones than Apple's in almost every case.

P

#7 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm not running FCP X right now. I'm running the last version on my MacBook Pro 17", with a larger side monitor.

Getting the 17" was a smart move on my part since it comes with a built in slot for the Sony cards the Alexa uses.

The express card slot used to be present on the 15" macbook pros - until Apple removed it, forcing the silly heavy 17" purchase, in which you still need an external monitor for anyway ... Suspect with the macbook pro and air lines possibly fusing into one soon that the express card will go on any mac product. Even with the SxS capability on the 15" any functionality for use with the EX range was removed with Snow Leopard, Sony and Apple had some sort of argument that meant neither were going to budge from thier positions and drivers (or whatever) weren't updated...

Rumor is that the mac pros aren't going to be updated soon also - you'll be forced to keep that 17" running FCP (6 was it?) until your logic board craps out like mine did last night :rolleyes:

Apple are too interested in those profits - and those profits come from people watching films, not making them.

google "lion is apple's vista"

I'm trying hard to get into linux and have one dedicated machine for CNC, but often drag myself back to mac for everything else - ah well... Hackintosh towers are really interesting though - multicore-32Gb RAM at non-apple prices - running Smoke / Nuke and so on. I dont so this for a living though, more interested in learning to develop niche programs/plug-ins for interfacing oddball projects to 'regular' software.

#8 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

And yes, most of Apple's success is based on selling tablets and smartphones, and there are better tablets and smartphones than Apple's in almost every case.

P

Yeah but Phil have you seen the boxes and packaging Apple products come in, it's so cool!!

Plus what about the 500, 000 employees Apple has in China, doesn't this make Apple the greatest humanitarian company in the world?

R,

#9 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

snore

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post