#1 Blair Kelly

Blair Kelly

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hi guys, Im new to DSLR cinematography and I am interested in buying a lens that will make my live videos look better. I have a cannon 600d(Rebel T3i) with the stock lens(18-55mm). The main problem I have been having is that some of my footage, when watched back is too dark to see anything. I have played about with the aperture and tried to find the best positions on stage to get the best shots but still I find it difficult to get good footage. I have been recommened to invest in prime lenses but these can be very expensive so i was wondering : What is the best wide angle prime lens for filming in a dark venue that wont break my bank(500 bucks).

I am really interested in helping out the bands I film by putting the videos up on YouTube but i dont want to put up videos that aren't very good and will make the band look bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Blair

#2 Miek Sneak

Miek Sneak

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hi guys, Im new to DSLR cinematography and I am interested in buying a lens that will make my live videos look better. I have a cannon 600d(Rebel T3i) with the stock lens(18-55mm). The main problem I have been having is that some of my footage, when watched back is too dark to see anything. I have played about with the aperture and tried to find the best positions on stage to get the best shots but still I find it difficult to get good footage. I have been recommened to invest in prime lenses but these can be very expensive so i was wondering : What is the best wide angle prime lens for filming in a dark venue that wont break my bank(500 bucks).

I am really interested in helping out the bands I film by putting the videos up on YouTube but i dont want to put up videos that aren't very good and will make the band look bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Blair

i'd go with something of low aperture, it'd help with the low light conditions, get a good prime lens, an inexpensive one would be the canon 50mm 1.8 for around $100, really cool lens if you use it right, canon 85mm 1.8,1.4, maybe even a 8mm fisheye to get some cool wide shots as well. hope this helps

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:47 AM

If you've got a low budget, Samyang lenses may be worth checking out, however, their 14mm doesn't seem to be up to the standard of their other lenses

#4 Miek Sneak

Miek Sneak

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:50 AM

If you've got a low budget, Samyang lenses may be worth checking out, however, their 14mm doesn't seem to be up to the standard of their other lenses

yea i have the rokinon 8mm fisheye, its a really nice lens, i use it for filming and photography, very wide angle.

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Visual Products

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post