#1 charles g clark

charles g clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

Hi all,

Ignoring the digital craziness for a while I just bought a moviecam compact for a crazy price from a rental house.

Does anyone know if I can buy a s35 ground glass for it anywhere and if so how much? Do the arricam gg's fit?(they look pretty similar). Already got a s35 top aperture plate

Also does anyone know a budget friendly camera house in the uk London area who would be able to rotate my pl to the s35 setting and check the depth- don't have a depth gauge and plate to attempt it myself

Many Thanks!

Charles

Ps I cleared the rental house I bought it from of all of their moviecam kit so they don't have one! And it's too cost prohibitive to send the camera back for a remount

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hi Charles,

the Arricam groundglasses are similar but won't fit.

You could probably buy a Moviecam S35 groundglass through Arri (who own Moviecam), but it won't be cheap. Best bet might be to see if any other rental houses might offload an extra one they might have. Or look into the possibility of a company like Shurco remarking the standard groundglass that (presumably) came with the camera. I'm somewhat amazed that the rental house you bought it from didn't have any Super 35 groundgasses.

Flipping the mount and doing a depth check shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. If you were to rent some PL lenses the rental house would very likely do it for free.

I noticed a Compact kit that recently went on ebay for about 4 grand.. crazy times.

#3 charles g clark

charles g clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:04 AM

Hi Dom

Thanks for the reply. I got a couple of ggs in redundant formats so I can sacrifice one of those for remarking.

The times are a changing.... Got mine for less than a c300. Appreciate it's shelf life is probably 5 years tops, but then I've yet to see too many digital cameras that can stay that course!

So in the meantime, grab those bargains!

Charles

#4 charles g clark

charles g clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

Just an update on the off chance anyone else is looking for ground glass re etching.

I just got my gg back from shurco who did a first class job of remarking it to s35- really pleased with how it has been done, it looks like a factory replacement and really glad there are still companies that do this sort of work.

It came in much less than a replacement from arri, and Paul has been really helpful- thoroughly recommended.

#5 Randy J Tomlinson

Randy J Tomlinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA / Europe

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

im selling a 1:1,85 super35 ground glass for the moviecam compact. (my private one)

i also have a view other formats at hand if someone needs them (not mine but from a big rental company i work with, they sell them)

Lemo Connectors

Cool Lights

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Zylight

Visual Products

Cinelicious

Ritter Battery

Cadrage Directors Viewfinder

Aerial Filmworks

Pro 8mm

System Associates