#1 Daniel Agustin

Daniel Agustin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hey guys, brand new to the board here. I appreciate any help and bits of wisdom in advanced.

DP'ing a yoga dvd and there will be 6 girls in a triangle configuration (think bowling pins) on a white cove, performing the yoga routine. The studio we are renting comes with the cove pre-lit. Just wondering what people might suggest for lighting the 6 girls without casting shadows all over the place, and without spilling onto my white background.

Thanks guys!

- Daniel

#2 David Ross

David Ross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Recently I lit a similar scene. And as everyone would tell you, there are 15 different ways to light any scene. You mentioned Yoga so lets assume most of the action takes place on a the floor. In my scene we shot with two cameras so i had wide and close ups as well as some creative angles. I laid out 4 -8 ft sheets of white foam core and propped them at a 45 degree angle off the floor using c stands. I place one on either side of the camera leaving me a 2 ft opening for the main camera. Then i placed one on the left side and one on the right side of the 6 people who were seated .I then placed a 1K mole open face in front of each sheet of foam core and bounced the light back onto the set. After seeing the results i added a 1/2 ctb and walked in my side lights in a bit to act sort of a side fill / slight Kicker. This approach really filled in the 6 people nicely. I ended up adding a 300 watt arri punched through some 216 diffusion to give our main
(teacher) a little more of a pop( about 1/2 stop). It was a nice little scene. Because of time and the lack of hang positions i was not able to do much back light. This would have helped... the client was happy and so was I. Again 5 gaffers would have lit the scene 5 different ways.

Best Regards

David

#3 Daniel Agustin

Daniel Agustin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

David, i really appreciate the response. Lighting from the floor is an idea i never had. I definitely will experiment with that technique and look. I hear you about everyone having a different way they would light it. Just looking for some creative ideas like yours to play with. Thanks again for the response.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Opal

Glidecam

The Slider