reece bowker

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • caloundra, australia

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hi all, first of all i am new on here so go easy on me. I am 17 and currently in my last year of school and looking to go into cinematography.

what do you guys recommend as a beginners camera but I am looking for a good one. maybe a canon. thanks reece

#2 peter roehsler

peter roehsler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:16 AM

Canon could be a good start if you have the money. If you don´t, consider Sony NEX 5N - about the same sensor size but cheaper and many more lens options with adapters. You will not want to get stuck with photo lenses forever, think used ARRI lenses (for 35mm film use). Avoid zoom lenses, get yourself an adapter (100-200 USD on Ebay) and a moderate wide angle and a portrait tele (like Schneider lenses, about 300-400 each on Ebay) and start telling your stories with fixed lenses.
good luck!

#3 reece bowker

reece bowker

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • caloundra, australia

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:51 AM

Canon could be a good start if you have the money. If you don´t, consider Sony NEX 5N - about the same sensor size but cheaper and many more lens options with adapters. You will not want to get stuck with photo lenses forever, think used ARRI lenses (for 35mm film use). Avoid zoom lenses, get yourself an adapter (100-200 USD on Ebay) and a moderate wide angle and a portrait tele (like Schneider lenses, about 300-400 each on Ebay) and start telling your stories with fixed lenses.
good luck!

thanks very much for your help. I am currently looking at sony NEX 5N now :)

#4 reece bowker

reece bowker

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • caloundra, australia

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:37 AM

http://reviews.cnet....7-34468433.html

may I ask if you think this is suitable. I also forgot to mention thats I will most likely filming sports like bmx etc.

thanks

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:06 AM

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/canon-vixia-hf-r20/4505-6500_7-34468433.html

may I ask if you think this is suitable. I also forgot to mention thats I will most likely filming sports like bmx etc.

thanks

In that case I'd go with a video camera rather than a DSLR, unless you're doing stylised shots that you want to use a large sensor for. The video camera will be more versatile and ideally would have CCD sensors, so you don't get skew with the fast moving panning shots.

Edited by Brian Drysdale, 28 January 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#6 reece bowker

reece bowker

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • caloundra, australia

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:41 AM

In that case I'd go with a video camera rather than a DSLR, unless you're doing stylised shots that you want to use a large sensor for. The video camera will be more versatile and ideally would have CCD sensors, so you don't get skew with the fast moving panning shots.

yeah thats what i was thinking, thanks for verifying it.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

CineTape

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC