22 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

Today at the Millennium Film Workshop in NYC, I met the North American ORWO film rep. Very nice guy who is operating out of Brooklyn and selling the film online.

Supposedly, the Universal Negative stock (UN 54, 80/100 ASA) that I picked up is a bit better quality than Kodak Plus-X and can be processed as negative or reversal. In any case, 400' cost me $65.00 and he says bulk and student discounts would apply to future orders. Also told me to contact him if I came across any problems.

Great customer service. For anyone else who is unfamiliar with this film stock, I will post results after I shoot some tests.

#2 John Rizzo

John Rizzo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • New York N.Y.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi Bill
Can you can you give us this gentleman's contact info?

#3 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1583 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

Orwo's US Web site is:

http://www.orwona.com/

I am pretty excited about Orwo and I have some of their stocks in 35mm which I am going to shoot this week.

-Rob-

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hey Rob;
can you please post up your results from the shoot on here. I've been glancing @ Orwo for awhile and I'd love to see some examples of it.

#5 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1583 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

I will and I am hoping to get some 16mm samples this week too so we can figure out developing and target gamma. I love that the 100iso stock can be run as either neg or reversal.

-Rob-

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

Awesome, I look forward to it. Keep up the great work up there too in the new facility; my neg has always been wonderfully treated by you guys when I have the chance to shoot it (and pick the lab).

#7 Gerald Moore

Gerald Moore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hi Adrian,

the Orwo UN54 is quite stunning. Have a look here: Vimeo.
If you are in Germany the guy to contact is Helmut Rings film16.

Cheers.

Edited by Gerald Moore, 29 January 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#8 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Gerald.
I'm US based @ the moment, but I'll certainly check out the Festival of speed. I havn't got any B/w shoots up coming this year yet, but hopefully I'll be gabbing a few hundred feet of the stock to give a test drive to.

#9 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hi Bill
Can you can you give us this gentleman's contact info?

John,

I doubt it will be a problem but I want to get his permission to post everthing, first. Thanks.

I'll get back to you.

#10 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

I love that the 100iso stock can be run as either neg or reversal.

-Rob-

Neg and positive stocks can be run either way regardless - it's how they are optimized for each that gives them the label...

Something in the middle I'd have to guess is optimized for neither ? Posted Image

#11 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

Orwo's US Web site is:

I am pretty excited about Orwo and I have some of their stocks in 35mm which I am going to shoot this week.

-Rob-

Yup. In the meantime you can order straight from the website:

#12 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1583 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

Neg and positive stocks can be run either way regardless - it's how they are optimized for each that gives them the label...

This is , of course, true and I have had very good results processing B&W Reversal and negative however negative stocks processed as Reversal (Tri-x specifically) my experiences have been not as great. I think there are allot of people would would love to see a Plus-X "replacement" and hopefully the slower Orwo stock will fit that and work well as both negative and reversal.

-Rob-

#13 Peter Ferguson

Peter Ferguson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

For all those interested I spoke with ORWOna about this and it was mentioned that the film sold at the Millennium "Fire Sale" was priced below cost for a quick sale, hence "Fire Sale", a percentage of the sale went in support of Millennium Film Workshop a non-profit film company out of NYC. Which everyone should know and support... http://www.millenniumfilm.org/ I wish the prices were that low, but not the case...regardless ORWONA was cool and I know they will support me with my projects in the future...so support them too. www.orwona.com Danke

#14 Peter Ferguson

Peter Ferguson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

This is , of course, true and I have had very good results processing B&W Reversal and negative however negative stocks processed as Reversal (Tri-x specifically) my experiences have been not as great. I think there are allot of people would would love to see a Plus-X "replacement" and hopefully the slower Orwo stock will fit that and work well as both negative and reversal.

-Rob-

Hi... the ORWO UN54 (Universal Negative)can be processed in a reversal method... check out the specs here ORWO UN54 Reversal Process

It is common... in Europe i guess

#15 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1583 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

It is common... in Europe i guess

Well hopefully we can help make it common in the USA too as we run probably well more than a million feet of reversal at Cinelab every year. Hopefully we can get some stock this week that I can shoot and that we can try to run in the reversal processor.

-Rob-

#16 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:57 AM

Peter, every black-and-white stock can be inversed. Orwo UN 54 is a common negative film like Ilford FP 4 or Kodak PXN. Itʼs got a grey base which covers highlights, so for nice projection there is only Fomapan R as a real reversal stock. Agfa-Scala would be the other such film with an antihalo subbing and a colourless base.

#17 Kip Kubin

Kip Kubin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Director

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Robert, do you process the 400 speed ORWO N74?

Just shot a 400' roll last week and am looking to try out a new lab along with this new-to-me stock

Thanks

Kip

Well hopefully we can help make it common in the USA too as we run probably well more than a million feet of reversal at Cinelab every year. Hopefully we can get some stock this week that I can shoot and that we can try to run in the reversal processor.

-Rob-

#18 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1583 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Robert, do you process the 400 speed ORWO N74?

Just shot a 400' roll last week and am looking to try out a new lab along with this new-to-me stock

Thanks

Kip

Yes we are committed to being a Orwo partner and we will be running tests in the next week or so.

-Rob-

#19 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

For all those interested I spoke with ORWOna about this and it was mentioned that the film sold at the Millennium "Fire Sale" was priced below cost for a quick sale, hence "Fire Sale", a percentage of the sale went in support of Millennium Film Workshop a non-profit film company out of NYC. Which everyone should know and support... http://www.millenniumfilm.org/ I wish the prices were that low, but not the case...regardless ORWONA was cool and I know they will support me with my projects in the future...so support them too. www.orwona.com Danke

Hi everyone. Thanks for your patience. I spoke to the ORWOna rep and he agreed to allow me to post his contact information, so here you go:

ORWO North America
George Campbell
917-566-6789
gcampbell@orwona.com
Brooklyn, NY
www.orwona.com

And yes, the film was priced lower at the Millennium Fire Sale, but keep in mind that it also did not have to be shipped. As I was told, that's the primary reason for the higher online prices. So for those of you who are local, contacting George directly and attempting to pick it up rather than get it shipped may be worth it.

Also, not to take anything away from Cinelab, but I have contacted Colorlab in NYC and they have told me that, based on the fact that ORWO UN 54 requires virtually the same processing as Kodak 5231/7231, they would be able to process it.

Hope this helps.

#20 J Costantini

J Costantini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Rio de Janeiro

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Today at the Millennium Film Workshop in NYC, I met the North American ORWO film rep. Very nice guy who is operating out of Brooklyn and selling the film online.

Supposedly, the Universal Negative stock (UN 54, 80/100 ASA) that I picked up is a bit better quality than Kodak Plus-X and can be processed as negative or reversal. In any case, 400' cost me $65.00 and he says bulk and student discounts would apply to future orders. Also told me to contact him if I came across any problems.

Great customer service. For anyone else who is unfamiliar with this film stock, I will post results after I shoot some tests.

Hi Bill, could you please explain the "bit better quality"? I'm very interested in the ORWO, how could I get in touch with the representative? Is there a website I can use to get the film?
Do you have information about other 16mm BW film stocks available other than Kodak's?

thanks

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

CineLab

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Wooden Camera