#1 Khalifa Al Said

Khalifa Al Said

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm a noob in this forum but I'd like to know would video playback on a 3 ccd camcorder be better than on a 1 ccd camcorder or do the number of ccds only affect video recording?

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

The number of ccd sensors only affects the camera section, it's nothing to do with the video recorder section of the camera, playback would depend only on the quality of the recording itself (if it's comes from another source) and the record/playback section, rather than the camera section of the camcorder.

#3 Khalifa Al Said

Khalifa Al Said

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

The number of ccd sensors only affects the camera section, it's nothing to do with the video recorder section of the camera, playback would depend only on the quality of the recording itself (if it's comes from another source) and the record/playback section, rather than the camera section of the camcorder.

Thanx for the reply Brian. I have recordings I made on a Sony 3 ccd camcorder which is now broken and I have since picked up a 2nd hand Samsung which only has 1 ccd on it and I want to play my original recordings made on the Sony camera on the Samsung camera. Would the playback outcome now be worse than it was on the original Sony camcorder?

Edited by Khalifa Al Said, 28 January 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

Assuming that that Samsung's VTR section operating up to spec, it shouldn't be that different to playing back on the Sony. Although, you're really comparing the recording sections doing this, so you may get a slight variation due to how the two manufacturer's designers solve the same problem. However, I suspect you wouldn't notice that without using test equipment.

#5 Khalifa Al Said

Khalifa Al Said

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

Assuming that that Samsung's VTR section operating up to spec, it shouldn't be that different to playing back on the Sony. Although, you're really comparing the recording sections doing this, so you may get a slight variation due to how the two manufacturer's designers solve the same problem. However, I suspect you wouldn't notice that without using test equipment.

Thanx Brian. I'll risk my tapes in the Samsung camera.

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Opal

Glidecam

The Slider

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc