3 replies to this topic

#1 David Ross

David Ross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

I own two full sets of Apple Boxes, They are Matthews brand and are nice boxes. I just got a call for a project and will need three more full sets. I have a small shop and totally get how to make them on my own. But a quick question, What would be the best thickness for tops and sides and what type of wood type of wood should i purchase,Finished? unfinished? BC? birch?

Thoughts?

#2 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

People make them out of all kinds of wood. 1/2" 5 layer birch plywood renders the lightest strongest box. Matthews used to make theirs with 3/4 sides and 3/8 tops. I see 3/4 construction frequently with homemade stuff. I used to make mine from 1/2" birch. I could and have set my dodge 2500 on my boxes to show how strong they are. Anything will do depending on your needs. you can never have enough apple boxes.

#3 David Ross

David Ross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

People make them out of all kinds of wood. 1/2" 5 layer birch plywood renders the lightest strongest box. Matthews used to make theirs with 3/4 sides and 3/8 tops. I see 3/4 construction frequently with homemade stuff. I used to make mine from 1/2" birch. I could and have set my dodge 2500 on my boxes to show how strong they are. Anything will do depending on your needs. you can never have enough apple boxes.

Thank you Sir just built some and they came out great! Used the 1/2 birch!

#4 David M Aronson

David M Aronson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

I used 1/2 5 ply birch as well since it make the math easier and it's strong and lightweight. I also put a couple of coats of black spray paint on them followed by a couple of coats of spray polyurethane. You can make 2-3 DIY sets for the price of a Mathews set.

Glidecam

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Opal

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

CineLab

FJS International, LLC