Photo

Is there anyway to change the picture profile of your footage in post?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Niall Conroy

Niall Conroy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Other
  • Ireland

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

It seems highly unlikely - but does anyone know of a method or way in which you can change the picture profile style of footage you have shot, while in post? (Canon DSLR)

I'm guessing once you shoot with X picture profile style you're stuck with it -but could you even access the attributes of the picture profile style and then apply them to the grading of the footage?

the reason i ask - I have beautiful high contrast + grainey picture profile style which I would like to shoot a few scenes with - however - I would like to shoot it in colour first, just in case it doesn't fit too well with the other scenes.

I'm aware that I could just shoot with a Marvels Cine flat style and then just try match the grade to the other black and white picture profile style(with a short reference video shot of scene) - but it'll never be the same

any ideas?

#2 Luis Ochoa

Luis Ochoa

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hi Niall. The only reason you can change the picture profile after shooting is that you are taking raw still pictures. When you shoot video that's H264 which means that the gamma (doesn't matter which picture profile you chose) has been "apply" already. It is like shooting any kind of video format, either you go for rec709 or hypergamma (Sony) or log if you are shooting video there is no way back. (of course if you go for a log option you'll have more range in post)
The only way to be able to change the gamma after shooting is recording RAW (motion picture or still)
I hope it's useful. Cheers!

#3 Niall Conroy

Niall Conroy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Other
  • Ireland

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

Thanks, Luis.

Yea i figured just as much - i guess best bet will be to shoot a flat picture style and try re-grade it - or just bite the bullet and shoot with the preferred picture style

#4 Victor Nhat Nguyen

Victor Nhat Nguyen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Thanks, Luis.

Yea i figured just as much - i guess best bet will be to shoot a flat picture style and try re-grade it - or just bite the bullet and shoot with the preferred picture style

Yeah right now I'm using technicolor cinestyle and I grade it in post.

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

CineTape

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies