6 replies to this topic

#1 Elliott Balsley

Elliott Balsley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:06 AM

I want to buy a baby plate with a built-in strong earth magnet. This would allow mounting lights in places never before mounted! What do you think? Has anyone ever seen this for sale somewhere?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

There's not a magnet strong enough to hang anything of substance, in my opinion. It also just wouldn't do anything that can't already be done with existing equipment.

#3 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

Some pretty strong magnets out there and some pretty lightweight lamps.

Not sure what happens to magnets under heat though.

Pretty much it'll work, until it doesn't ...

Edited by Chris Millar, 01 February 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#4 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Yes these exist, they work alright but really best for lightweight stuff where tape works just as good. best use interior in school bus. fairly easy to make. buy magnet with 3/8 hole ( sold at most hardware stores or online.) buy female threaded baby pin and a 1" bolt. assemble and voila.

They can be handy, we keep magnets on our grip cart for blacking out with metal windows and such.

#5 michael maley

michael maley

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

I have some 4" magnets with baby pin that I am using on a show right now. I think the production paid in all about 20.00. I am having tweenies mounted on them.

Do you need some?

#6 Chris Rauch

Chris Rauch

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Grip

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

I loaded some 1"x1"x1/4" earth magnets flat on the back of a baby plate, wrapped it several times with gaff tape and placed it on my 4x4 cart. The pin ran parallel to the floor and I started applying weight. It held nearly 100lbs on a side load and about 120lbs straight down.
Don't buy the crap at a hardware store, buy good magnets online, they're expensive, but cheaper than an accident.

#7 John David Miller

John David Miller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Grip
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:15 AM

I want to buy a baby plate with a built-in strong earth magnet. This would allow mounting lights in places never before mounted! What do you think? Has anyone ever seen this for sale somewhere?

I applaud your desire to stick a light were no grip has stuck one before. I keep a few neodymium magnets on my setcart. Over the years I have found their use to be quite situational...perhaps sticking a cut of diffusion to ferrous metal that, for whatever reason, can't be taped or clipped to.

I strongly urge you to use caution when hanging a light with your new "rig." Several things have an adverse affect on a magnets strength. Heat, strong electrical current, having other magnets in close proximity, radiation. 100lbs is a good amount of strength but is easily overcome by some electrician pulling on a light with it's cable, doors, scrim...remember dynamic force. Few things terrify me more than the thought of my rigs falling down.

Your plate could be useful to rig single tubes or LEDs to the body of a car that has a peel coat or a finicky owner that hates suction cups. You will also be able to show a refrigerator door who is boss as well!

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Opal

The Slider

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport