#1 Xavier Gomez

Xavier Gomez

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

I'm just curious if anyone has tried using 400' mags on the original ACL motor designed for 200' mags. I'm working on a short, and although I'm almost done, I'm really sick of changing the mags so often. Would a 400' mag really kill the motor?

Here's a picture of the motor.
Posted Image

Thanks!

Edited by Xavier Gomez, 03 February 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#2 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

I think english 400' mags are all right, as long as the camera and mags are not in need of service. I would get a tech to check the mag over and he could compare the current draw.

I used an English ACL I with the small original motor and English 400' mags a lot. My motor looked stock. I don't think there were any changes to the electronics. I had a friend with the same configuration also. I never had any problems with the motor. It looked like it got to speed in about 2 frames with a good battery. The camera and one of the 400' mags was always well serviced. Another couple of mags were probably overdue for a lube, but showed no problems with the motor.

If you aren't able to get a tech to check over the mag before you need to use it you can check a couple of things yourself. With the take up wheels working on a core the drive sprocket should feel fairly free to your fingers. It's got an inching knob you can work. Then load some scrap film and see if there is any difference in the motor behaviour compared to a 200' mag. I would test about 800' with a few stops and starts to check the start up time (sync light) and motor temperature. Any unusual motor sound or running out of sync and you stop.

Cheers,
Gregg

#3 Xavier Gomez

Xavier Gomez

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

I think english 400' mags are all right, as long as the camera and mags are not in need of service. I would get a tech to check the mag over and he could compare the current draw.

I used an English ACL I with the small original motor and English 400' mags a lot. My motor looked stock. I don't think there were any changes to the electronics. I had a friend with the same configuration also. I never had any problems with the motor. It looked like it got to speed in about 2 frames with a good battery. The camera and one of the 400' mags was always well serviced. Another couple of mags were probably overdue for a lube, but showed no problems with the motor.

If you aren't able to get a tech to check over the mag before you need to use it you can check a couple of things yourself. With the take up wheels working on a core the drive sprocket should feel fairly free to your fingers. It's got an inching knob you can work. Then load some scrap film and see if there is any difference in the motor behaviour compared to a 200' mag. I would test about 800' with a few stops and starts to check the start up time (sync light) and motor temperature. Any unusual motor sound or running out of sync and you stop.

Cheers,
Gregg

Thanks Gregg, Much appreciated.

Xavier.

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Opal

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc