#21 Jon Amerikaner

Jon Amerikaner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel Aviv, Israel

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:10 PM

I just recieved the call for an interview for next week. Those of you who got interviewed (for cinematography fall '05): what did they ask, what was it like, what advice can you give? Thanks.

#22 Gevorg Sarkisian

Gevorg Sarkisian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:41 PM

As I know the interviewing process is over! What is your interview date?

#23 Jon Amerikaner

Jon Amerikaner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel Aviv, Israel

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:12 PM

That's what I thought, but I got a call this morning and I'm interviewing in-person next Monday! Did you interview?

#24 Gevorg Sarkisian

Gevorg Sarkisian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:30 AM

Yes. I have got interviewed on March 16.

#25 Dwight Reynols

Dwight Reynols
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:47 AM

That's what I thought, but I got a call this morning and I'm interviewing in-person next Monday!  Did you interview?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe they're short on applicants? I don't know, jamerikaner. How exactly does AFI do their admissions, anyway? Some schools start at the top, I hear, then work their way down the list of applicants. How far down they go depends on how many of those at the top reject their offer.

Does AFI work this way? Or do they inform everyone of their status at once?

#26 Jon Amerikaner

Jon Amerikaner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel Aviv, Israel

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:56 PM

I wish I knew. All I know is I'm going in next Monday, which they said is their last day for interviews before they make their final decisions that Friday! The guy who called me was surprised, as I was, that I hadn't got called earlier. I guess it doesn't really matter.

#27 Dwight Reynols

Dwight Reynols
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

I wish I knew.  All I know is I'm going in next Monday, which they said is their last day for interviews before they make their final decisions that Friday!  The guy who called me was surprised, as I was, that I hadn't got called earlier.  I guess it doesn't really matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well good luck! Maybe someone who's been through the cinematography interview can offer you some advice, probable questions, etc.

#28 Jon Amerikaner

Jon Amerikaner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel Aviv, Israel

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:49 PM

Well good luck!  Maybe someone who's been through the cinematography interview can offer you some advice, probable questions, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks

#29 Phillip Lujan

Phillip Lujan
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:58 AM

Hi
I'm studying cinematography at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. I first wanted to ask if anyone has heard of my school, and second I just wanted to say that I don't think that the school really makes the cinematographer. The school only gives you the tools to build upon the skills and talent that you already have. My school has an awesome equipment facility and I get pretty good use of all the equipment. You just have to have the passion and drive to learn from actually doing it.

Phil Lujan

#30 Dwight Reynols

Dwight Reynols
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:19 PM

I wish I knew.  All I know is I'm going in next Monday, which they said is their last day for interviews before they make their final decisions that Friday!  The guy who called me was surprised, as I was, that I hadn't got called earlier.  I guess it doesn't really matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, jamerikaner . . . how'd it go today?

#31 Jon Amerikaner

Jon Amerikaner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel Aviv, Israel

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:48 PM

Hey, jamerikaner . . . how'd it go today?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've just returned home from LA. The interview was great, nearly a full hour! I also sat in on a class where I met current fellows and viewed two thesis films. There are some extremely talented people at AFI. And believe me, I'm not easily impressed.

I am happy to tell you more and answer questions. Please email me at amerikan@berkeley.edu or reply to this post with your email address.

Peace.

PS
I'm told that finalists will be notified of their status this Friday! Best of luck to all.

#32 Mike Williamson

Mike Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 April 2005 - 01:24 PM

Good luck to everybody here who's applying, gotta stay near the phone on Friday! I'll post my news one way or another, maybe we could all post updates when we hear?

#33 Dwight Reynols

Dwight Reynols
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:10 PM

Good luck to everybody here who's applying, gotta stay near the phone on Friday!  I'll post my news one way or another, maybe we could all post updates when we hear?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take it they're calling people? Everyone, I wonder, or just those who were accepted?

#34 Gevorg Sarkisian

Gevorg Sarkisian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:50 AM

Do you have any news? I have not received phonecall yet! But It is only morning now.

#35 Mike Williamson

Mike Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:09 PM

I just received good news from Stephen Lighthill saying that I've been accepted into the cinematography program at AFI, got a phone call from him just a little while ago. Hopefully there will be more good news from some of other applicants on the board, good luck everybody!

#36 Mike Williamson

Mike Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

In the excitement of posting I forgot to thank Jayson Crothers for talking with me when I came out to visit the school and Wendell Greene for his advice as well, thanks guys! I would also say that everyone on this board has been extremely helpful in sharing their time and helping me continue to learn, so thanks to everybody here also!

#37 Jon Amerikaner

Jon Amerikaner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel Aviv, Israel

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:18 PM

In the excitement of posting I forgot to thank Jayson Crothers for talking with me when I came out to visit the school and Wendell Greene for his advice as well, thanks guys!  I would also say that everyone on this board has been extremely helpful in sharing their time and helping me continue to learn, so thanks to everybody here also!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That makes two of us. Stephen called me this morning. What a week! I interviewed Monday and here it is Friday and I'm in. Can't wait to meet you this Fall. Thanks everyone. And for those that did not make it, don't give up, follow your dreams, and do what makes you happy.

Peace.

#38 Brian Babarik

Brian Babarik
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Other
  • chicago

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:20 PM

In the excitement of posting I forgot to thank Jayson Crothers for talking with me when I came out to visit the school and Wendell Greene for his advice as well, thanks guys!  I would also say that everyone on this board has been extremely helpful in sharing their time and helping me continue to learn, so thanks to everybody here also!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know who you are and I know that should not matter but I was viewing all of the posts and wanted to congratulate you on you acceptance. I love the art of Photography and cinematography and applaude most everyone who attends and posts on this site. To everyone else who applied good luck and remember that its the light that matters just as much as the darkness.

#39 fstop

fstop
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:44 PM

GUYS-

WELL DONE!!! Truly OUTSTANDING news- Jamerikaner, obviously we don't know much about you from your 11 posts (at the time of my posting) here, but all the best with this!- Mike, if your posts and your enthisuasm within those are anything to go buy this is much deserved GREAT news!

I'm elated hearing this wonderful news!!! 2005 is finally paying off!

#40 Gevorg Sarkisian

Gevorg Sarkisian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:51 PM

Hello! Stephen Lighthill called me today too. I am accepted to the program. It is one of the happiest days of me life :))). Looking forward meeting you.

Thanks you!

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Opal

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Metropolis Post