• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#41 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 April 2005 - 10:15 PM

Congratulations! Mike, Jamerikaner, and Gevorg!

#42 Mike Williamson

Mike Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:11 PM

Congratulations to Gevorg and jamerikaner, lots of good news on the board this weekend. Thanks to everybody for the kind words as well (Wendell, Tim and barbarik27), it's a very nice feeling to be able to pass the good news on to everyone here.

#43 Jayson Crothers

Jayson Crothers
  • Sustaining Members
  • 351 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:44 PM

Congrats everybody! As Stephen's TA, I heard a bit about the applicants this year and the process of deciding acceptance - I can assure you that everyone who got in this year should be VERY proud because Stephen had a really hard time deciding!

I tip my hat to each of you and welcome you to AFI.

#44 Jon Amerikaner

Jon Amerikaner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel Aviv, Israel

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

Congrats everybody!  As Stephen's TA, I heard a bit about the applicants this year and the process of deciding acceptance - I can assure you that everyone who got in this year should be VERY proud because Stephen had a really hard time deciding!

I tip my hat to each of you and welcome you to AFI.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Jayson. I was in Stephen's class last Tuesday. Were you the DP presenting the plans for your thesis? If yes, you did a great job. I know your busy but I would very grateful to learn about your AFI experience. You can email me at amerikan@berkeley.edu, or reply with your email address, if you would like to take this correspondence away from this forum. Thanks again.

All the best,
Jon Amerikaner

#45 Rob_Kraetsch

Rob_Kraetsch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

Congratulations guys! I haven't checked the boards in a while, and it's nice to see good news all around. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any more questions, or want to talk smack about Jayson.

In regards to Richard's questions from a long time ago.

The big question is, "Do you feel you got value for your money?"

How did AFI help you?  Training? Contacts? All of the above?

I'm just finishing my 1st year so it's way too soon to say whether it'll be a good financial investment. Having struggled for a trickle of work before attending AFI, I feel like it will be in the long run. I've learned a tremendous amount this year about all aspects of the art, craft and business. I also feel like the contacts I'm making will be very good in the long run, and hopefully some in the short run, but I'm certainly still expecting some lean years to come after graduation.

It is an expensive roll of the dice, and I had to think long and hard about it, but feel at this point that I've made a good decision. Ask me again in a few years and we'll see if I still feel the same. :)

-Rob Kraetsch

#46 Dwight Reynols

Dwight Reynols
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:52 AM

I'm in too, by the way. Did you all get your letters yet? I think they were mailed on Friday, but I haven't received mine yet. Either that, or someone who knows my phone # played a terrible joke on me :)

#47 Jayson Crothers

Jayson Crothers
  • Sustaining Members
  • 351 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:31 AM

Congratulations Dwight!

#48 Matt Frank

Matt Frank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, Ca

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:08 PM

Big congrats to everyone who got accepted this year. I am going to be applying for fall of 06 and hopefully I will be as fortunate. Good luck to everyone.

#49 vikash nowlakha

vikash nowlakha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Mumbai, India

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:23 AM

Just a quick question on AFI - the first year seems to be just video. Somehow couldnt really figure that one out. When then do you get to experiment with lab processes, panavision cameras and all that great stuff one generally associates with an MFA cinematography program

#50 vikash nowlakha

vikash nowlakha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Mumbai, India

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:25 AM

Just a quick question on AFI - the first year seems to be just video. Somehow couldnt really figure that one out. When then do you get to experiment with lab processes, panavision cameras and all that great stuff one generally associates with an MFA cinematography program

#51 Josh Goleman

Josh Goleman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:03 PM

Ok, well December 16th has passed, this means Fall applicants must have applications sent in. So, I guess its time to refresh this thread with more application stories. I just nervously applied.

#52 Mark T. Ingham

Mark T. Ingham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:40 PM

Ok, well December 16th has passed, this means Fall applicants must have applications sent in. So, I guess its time to refresh this thread with more application stories. I just nervously applied.

Me too Josh.

This is going to be a long, excrutiating wait till April to hear whether AFI has accepted us or not. By the way, best of luck to you -- I hope to be seeing you in the 2006-07 class!

#53 Jayson Crothers

Jayson Crothers
  • Sustaining Members
  • 351 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:45 PM

Josh, I wouldn't hold your breath because most of us weren't contacted for an interview until mid-to-late March (meaning it'll be a while until you hear ANYTHING). If you're in LA, it wouldn't be a bad idea to contact AFI about sitting in on a few classes (they're very cool with prospective fellows doing this). Take a deep relaxing breath, sit in on a few classes, and keep us updated as things start happening. Best of luck!

#54 Mark T. Ingham

Mark T. Ingham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:10 PM

Josh, I wouldn't hold your breath because most of us weren't contacted for an interview until mid-to-late March (meaning it'll be a while until you hear ANYTHING). If you're in LA, it wouldn't be a bad idea to contact AFI about sitting in on a few classes (they're very cool with prospective fellows doing this). Take a deep relaxing breath, sit in on a few classes, and keep us updated as things start happening. Best of luck!

Jayson: Thanks for the word.

#55 Dan Adlerstein

Dan Adlerstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

alright. so March has arrived and i guess that means it's time once again for those of us who have applied to AFI to seek each others moral support and to share any news. Josh and Mayrock, i see you've applied, anybody else? my understanding is that it could be any day now through the end of March that we could be called for an interview. and if called, we have a great chance. if not -- no chance. wow, will be pretty nerve-racking every time the phone rings with a number you don't recognize. good luck to everyone! how do you feel about your chances? heard anything about how many applicants they got this year? let us know if you hear anything.

cheers.
dan.

#56 Mark T. Ingham

Mark T. Ingham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 23 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:34 PM

Dan:

I'm in a complete information null zone. :ph34r: I have no idea how many apps they got this year, or any idea -- whatsoever -- of my chances. All I know is I don't believe I've ever wanted anything this badly (getting into AFI); and the stressful angst of this waiting is, like I mentioned before, excruciating.

I was going to tour the campus last week, but had to miss out on it because of a last minute commitment on a school film production. Have any of you guys been shown around campus? If so, what were your impressions?

Anyways, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. I hope to see you all (as well as myself) in the group of 28 new AFI Cinematographers for '06.

-Mayrock

#57 Richard Vialet

Richard Vialet
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:05 PM

Two of my friends got calls already for interviews here on the East Coast...I haven't gotten a call yet (still have my fingers crossed). I don't know if theyre going in a particular order like alphabetically and/or by discipline. My two friends applied for screenwriting and directing. And the east-coast interviews are between March 10th-16th here in Maryland. Good Luck to Everyone!!!!!

#58 Dan Adlerstein

Dan Adlerstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

hmmmm, interesting. they probably do call people for interviews based on certain regions. but i wonder if each discipline is seperate in it's setting up of interviews. i guess there is no reason to start to panic about not getting called untill we hear people from our region in our discipline have been called. but yeah, mayrock, i'm with you on how ridiculously badly i want this.
i was able to tour the campus as well as sit in on a couple of classes. obviously, i thought it was pretty great. the highlight was bill dill's class where they picked apart their first films, basically shot by shot, talking almost exclusively about character and story.

ok. gotta go. fingers crossed.
dan.

#59 Josh Goleman

Josh Goleman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:51 AM

Well, all I have gotten so far is a financial aide letter in the mail about a week ago. I'm going to be in LA in about a week and a half for a transfer at Fotokem, should I call AFI and let them know I will be in town? Would that help any?

#60 Richard Vialet

Richard Vialet
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

u should visit...i met the admissions manager jj jackman twice and he seems real cool...

but ive just gotten a financial aid letter too...has anyone here gotten an interview callback yet? it seems wierd...my friends that applied for directing and writing got calls but i haven't heard one cinematography applicant get a call back yet...and the interviews are next week!!!

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Opal