Dev Varma
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

Hi Guys,

I have to shoot a feature film on Alexa in march, I am open to any suggestion, pros and cons of the camera, I have heard that its the best digital camera but I have not done any experiment and did not have any time left.

I'll be shooting on 2.35, I have not asked for anmorphic lenses, but if I do ask and try to use them, how its gonna work ?? anyone??

or should I mask it in the post ??

thanks for answering

#2 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

If your shooting on the standard Alexa - its probably better to shoot with spherical lens's and crop the result in post the 2.35:1.

If you did use normal 2x anamorphics, because the sensor in the Alexa is 16:9 you would end up with a frame thats about 3.5:1, so you'd really have to crop the edges a lot throwing away a lot of resolution. So not really worth the extra hassel and cost of anamorphic lens's in that case.

If you can find them (they are a bit rare) you could use the Hawk 1.33X anamorphic lens, they would convert the 16:9 image to 2.35:1 without cropping - keeping full resolution. They have some anamorphic artifacts but not as much as 2X lens's.

Or if you can afford it, use an Alexa Studio, it has 4:3 sensor so if you use it with 2X anamorphic lens's - you get 2.66:1 - so only need a minor crop to get to 2.35:1. Also, with the Alexa studio you get a nice optical viewfinder.

Also, if anamorphic is your thing, the Arri D21 might be worth considering if you could get a deal, as it has a 4:3 sensor as well.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Most common approach would be to use spherical lenses and just frame for cropping to 2.35.

#4 Ted Marcus

Ted Marcus

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Agreed with the comment above. Alexa is a beautiful camera to be working with btw, as I am sure you're realizing. Best of luck with it

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products