#1 Ben Smith

Ben Smith

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Anyone used this lens? The interchangeable mount seems like a great feature. For some reason, this lens doesn't seem to be in very high demand, despite it's relatively low price. I can't seem to find a rental house that has one let alone some test footage or a review. Any info. would be appreciated, I am considering purchasing one.

#2 Albert Smith

Albert Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

30k cine zoom designed for use with dslr's....who what'da thought that wouldn't work?

#3 Darragh Sinnott

Darragh Sinnott

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Anyone used this lens? The interchangeable mount seems like a great feature. For some reason, this lens doesn't seem to be in very high demand, despite it's relatively low price. I can't seem to find a rental house that has one let alone some test footage or a review. Any info. would be appreciated, I am considering purchasing one.

I'm about to. Mine's due to arrive this week.
Apparently this lens was originally an ARRI branded lens with an asking price of $32,000!!
If that ARRI price is correct then maybe thats the reason it didn't sell all that well, plus Angenieux's 16-42 Optimo DP is a *fairly* similar and considerably cheaper lens.
I wanted the Angenieux originally (as it was cheaper) but I would have had to wait until May/June to get it so I went for the LWZ instead.
It should be a good match if you have Zeiss CP.2 primes already. On paper it may have an edge over the Angenieux as the zoom range is slightly better (15.5-45 vs 16-42)
and it's slightly faster (T/2.6 vs T/2.8).
Zeiss are planning to bring a second LWZ out this year (perhaps more of a telephoto - 45-120 or something like that) exact specs have not been released but it will be a compliment for the 15.5-45 not a replacement by all accounts.
There seem to be far more 16-42 Optimo DP's in use than LWZ.2's.
I have Zeiss CP.2 primes and so I believe the LWZ.2 will match better with those, though as I said - I originally wanted to get an optimo DP.

I haven't used either before so I can't do a comparison but I can give you some feedback on the LWZ itself in a couple of weeks.

#4 Jaron Berman

Jaron Berman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

It's more cash than the DP but (in my honest opinion) its superior. Sharper and better coatings, more usable range and better overall feel. It's not a "dslr lens," though it can be used on a DSLR, the interchangeable mounts are a VERY nice and marketable feature. I'm not gonna start a "zeiss vs." debate, but this lens is an extension of the Master Primes /zoom series NOT the SLR primes, that is a fact. Try them side-by-side, you'll see.

On m4/3 or RED 3K its a PERFECT range, though for s35 its perhaps a bit too wide for some peoples' taste.

#5 Darragh Sinnott

Darragh Sinnott

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

It's more cash than the DP but (in my honest opinion) its superior. Sharper and better coatings, more usable range and better overall feel. It's not a "dslr lens," though it can be used on a DSLR, the interchangeable mounts are a VERY nice and marketable feature. I'm not gonna start a "zeiss vs." debate, but this lens is an extension of the Master Primes /zoom series NOT the SLR primes, that is a fact. Try them side-by-side, you'll see.

On m4/3 or RED 3K its a PERFECT range, though for s35 its perhaps a bit too wide for some peoples' taste.

Yes, 30-90 is a lovely range too - just like that other Optimo DP.
I'm using the LWZ on Super35 sensor cameras, not DSLR's at the moment and I think the 15.5-45 range on a S35 sensor is a very nice standard zoom range.
It all depends what you're shooting of course. For me this lens together with an 85mm prime makes a very nice (and portable) combination.
I've only just got the zoom today and it looks very nice so far, saturation and contrast look very good and it does indeed appear to be nice and sharp.
So far so good...

Glidecam

Technodolly

The Slider

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport