Photo

How far can one push Vision 3 50D and still produce a decent image?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholas Kovats

Nicholas Kovats
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

I am aware of the general advantages regarding negative latitude. How far can I push this 50 ASA negative stock? 1, 2 or 3 stops? Any scanned examples?

Cheers!

#2 Ben Syverson

Ben Syverson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

I am aware of the general advantages regarding negative latitude. How far can I push this 50 ASA negative stock? 1, 2 or 3 stops? Any scanned examples?

Cheers!

Negative latitude is in the other direction—highlights. Pushing doesn't give you more shadow detail; just brighter midtones and highlights. So the further you push, the higher the contrast.

If you're going for a high-contrast look, it might be just what you're looking for. If you're just looking for more speed, it's probably simpler to go with 250D.

#3 Nicholas Kovats

Nicholas Kovats
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for posting, Ben.

Confirmed regarding the fact that pushing emphasizes highlights which results in increased contrast. Which may be just fine as I predominately shoot high contrast film with the UltraPan8 format I use. Specifically Ektachrome 100D. In fact I ended up rating the 50D at 400 ASA due to the lighting at the event.

I would have definitely availed myself of a faster Vision stock but I cannot due my utilization of the UltraPan8 format which utilizes Regular 8 film (2R-1497). Specifically the full 16mm width of R8 with R8 pulldown. Here is a scanned example, i.e.

In general there only two reversal R8 (2R-1497) stocks available, E100D and Plus-x. UltraPan8 utilizes the right side B-Wind perf for pulldown. I recently had Mr. Edward Nowill in the UK reperforate 800 FT of standard single perf 16mm V3 50D (1R-2994) into a special B-wind only R8 stock, i.e. 1R-1497.

Vision 3 250D/200T/500T are forthcoming.

Pro 8mm

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

K5600 Lighting

Cinelicious

Zylight

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS