• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

On the basis that I've got away with it before, here follows a massive plug for the BVE article I wrote for Below the Line News:

http://www.btlnews.c...preview-of-nab/

It was great to meet up with Freya and Dan, and some old friends from Filmlight who I randomly ran into. BVE isn't a huge show but it's much denser than IBC or NAB. The coolest thing I didn't mention in the article was Simon Priestman's Jimmy Jib on a quad bike - well, I say quad bike, more a sort of miniature all-terrain vehicle. Apparently it doesn't actually do on-the-move shots like a Russian arm, it's more intended for quick repositioning on rough ground, but it was quite the most fantabulous thing in the exhibition centre. They'd even put a better head on the end of it, as opposed to the usual OK but not great Stanton pan and tilt arrangements.

I want one.

P

#2 Mark McCann

Mark McCann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • London

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hey interesting read on the article.

Was another good bve, shame i didn't get to see all i wanted to see.

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

Simon Priestman's Jimmy Jib on a quad bike - well, I say quad bike, more a sort of miniature all-terrain vehicle. Apparently it doesn't actually do on-the-move shots like a Russian arm, it's more intended for quick repositioning on rough ground, but it was quite the most fantabulous thing in the exhibition centre. They'd even put a better head on the end of it, as opposed to the usual OK but not great Stanton pan and tilt arrangements.

I want one.

P

Wish I'd seen that, but it doesn't sound as fantastic (in the Terry Gilliam sense) as either the frighteningly huge technocrane that towered up towards the ceiling in Earls Court and was strangely so huge you didn't even see it at first,(!!!!??) or my favorite, if somewhat disturbing, robocop style remote camera rig that moved a remote camera around in response to your movements of a tripod elsewhere. "Is this popular with the military by any chance?" I asked.

My least favourite fantastic stand in that sense, was the large camera company who put a woman in a rather nasty blue dress into a plexiglass tube and fired ping pong balls at her! WTF!!! We are still in the 21st century right? Way to go to alienate a significant portion of the audience. You could constantly hear angry comments from women walking past the Arri seminar theatre. Can't imagine it was even popular with the male section of the audience unless they had a strong dislike for women. Really very odd.

love

Freya

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Glidecam

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Opal