• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

The Dogfather is out on DVD in France, after its hilarious run on French TV. Of course in France it's called, Un Chien Dans Le Mafia, which I think is, A Dog In The Mafia?

http://www.amazon.fr...29971180&sr=1-1

Our lead actress was changed into a man in France though, instead of Marie Ward, they credit her as Ward Marie on the box. Ooooops!!

I love how in France I am not a director I'm a, Réalisateur. Cool.

Also out in UK,

http://www.amazon.co...29971527&sr=1-1

New cover art, again.

And Australia:

http://www.devoteddv...ducts_id=68326

It's fun to see your work pop up around the globe.

R,

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

So now you're an INTERNATIONAL superstar director!!! How cool, pretty soon you'll be aboard your G5, winging your way to Cannes so you can drink Cristal out of Megan Fox's high heel!! :D

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:30 AM

How does this work business-wise, if it's not too intrusive a question? Have you assigned the job of internationally marketing it to another agency, so you just see it appear in various places - or do you work out all the deals yourself?

P

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Not intrusive at all Phil, very straightforward question. The answer is, yes, the producer typically assigns the international rights for the movie to a sales agent. This sales agent then presents the film at the major film markets, EFM, Cannes, and AFM. Also MIP and NATPE if it's a suitable TV title.

The buyers come to these markets looking for product. The buyers can be either a broadcaster buying direct, or a distributor that wants all rights to specific territory. They pay the sales company the fees, then the sales company takes a commission on the sale and a portion of their marketing costs.

The costs to attend each market is quite horrendous when you factor in flights, hotels, food, and the booth rental. So the sales agent has legitimate costs here which are usually capped at XYZ amount per film.

The sales agent should also have a number of relationships with buyers already built up so they can make sales right away outside of the major markets. You only have to sell to a buyer once to have a relationship with them. So the sales agent gets a new movie in, and they already have a list of people they can email a link to the trailer to and see if they are a potential sale.

R,

#5 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

New cover art, again.

And Australia:

http://www.devoteddv...ducts_id=68326

It's fun to see your work pop up around the globe.

R,

Don't forget all those cable TV channels with endless programming hours to fill. If somebody thought it was good enough for DVD, it'll be more than good enough for that market. The magic word "New" is an excellent sales feature....

So, if I go out and spend $10 to buy the DVD, does that directly translate to a small percentage of that in your bank account, or is it more complicated than that?

Is there a "Dogfather II" in the works, shot on Alexa of course :rolleyes:

#6 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

So, if I go out and spend $10 to buy the DVD, does that directly translate to a small percentage of that in your bank account, or is it more complicated than that?

Yes, all of it, under a special deal negotiated just for me only. :)

Is there a "Dogfather II" in the works, shot on Alexa of course :rolleyes:

We tried, dog's agent being very difficult. The entourage fees are through the roof.

R,

#7 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

Yes, all of it, under a special deal negotiated just for me only. :)

Ah yes, back in the glory days of the Australian 10BA Tax concession, if your movie was produced here you would have gotten back $15!

We tried, dog's agent being very difficult. The entourage fees are through the roof.

R,

But surely, you're going to be saving such stupendous amounts of money by not shooting on film, you'll be able to cover the cost of several bulldogs, a pack of huskies, four or five German Shepherds and probably even a quartet of performing Dachshunds!

#8 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

But surely, you're going to be saving such stupendous amounts of money by not shooting on film, you'll be able to cover the cost of several bulldogs, a pack of huskies, four or five German Shepherds and probably even a quartet of performing Dachshunds!

You would think eh? I will be starting a thread on my new movie in June and that's being shot on my Alexa. So there are savings over 35mm, yes. But, all that money is going other places. I need planes and helicopters, that will eat up the film savings real fast! :)

R,

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc