Reel Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Corey Jacobs

Corey Jacobs
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hello,

I have a question about etiquette within your reel. I work mostly as a gaffer, but also as a videographer. I am sure there are others who do the same, and I'm wondering how you organize your reels with regards to what you're showing and what you're advertising. Are you putting all of the stuff you've done in the key positions and listing yourself as a gaffer & DoP in the same reel? Separate reels for gaffing and shooting?

Just wondering what people who are in a similar situation to me are doing, and what's considered kosher.

Thanks,

-C

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

I don't think i've ever seen, nor needed to see, a reel from a gaffer.....

#3 Corey Jacobs

Corey Jacobs
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

I don't think i've ever seen, nor needed to see, a reel from a gaffer.....

I don't get asked for it particularly often for gaffing, only when it's a client or person who hasn't worked with me before and is just looking to see that I'm not ultra-fresh. I suppose the problem I'm having is that I have a slew of stuff that I gaffed, but not a whole lot that I've shot, and I'm looking to get more jobs for the latter, for which people will obviously ask for my reel.

Right now I send work samples of specific things I've shot, so I suppose I'm wondering if it makes sense to have a reel that separates the two, or mixes both.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Well, the problem with putting gaffing stuff together with shooting stuff is that producers may get "confused" as to which is which; also I personally think it's a bit frowned upon when you're marketing yourself as more than 1 specialty... for example, "Gaffer, Cinematographer, Editor," but that's just my opinion.
Perhaps, what you should do, is have some scenes from your shooting and a "complimentary" reel of other "relevant work," with each clip having a lower-3rd as to your job, for example "Camera Op," or "Gaffer," ect, so they can see what you've done on your own, as well as your past pedigree.
My 2 cents.

#5 Corey Jacobs

Corey Jacobs
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

Perhaps, what you should do, is have some scenes from your shooting and a "complimentary" reel of other "relevant work," with each clip having a lower-3rd as to your job, for example "Camera Op," or "Gaffer," ect, so they can see what you've done on your own, as well as your past pedigree.
My 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice, I think that's the best happy medium.

Much obliged.

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

CineTape

The Slider

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Wooden Camera