#1 Jamie Frazer Noakes

Jamie Frazer Noakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Director
  • The Northlands of Sweden

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

I shot a short film project using some of the Wittnerchrome special edition 2011 - Fuji 64T in super 8 carts.

The projected image is bright with saturated colours - but as you will see with this particular sequence the brightness and saturated colours did not transfer so well.

(Please choose 720p resolution).

Anyone else had any experience with this particular stock?

Andersens Tears

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

Its a high contrast reversal stock . Think you should have helped it with a bit of "fill" on your subjects face any slow speed stock like that needs very careful exposure !

#3 Jamie Frazer Noakes

Jamie Frazer Noakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Director

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Its a high contrast reversal stock . Think you should have helped it with a bit of "fill" on your subjects face any slow speed stock like that needs very careful exposure !

Hi John, thanks for your reply and advice.
Agreed it is a high contrast reversal stock and I was indeed careful with the way I exposed it. I got subtle detail on the face and blown out highlights - I got the look I wanted and it works well for the projected image. I just feel that the transfer has added extra contrast to the image and caused exposure problems. I think that next time I use this stock I will need to adjust the exposures with a transfer in mind. This is my lesson learnt here.

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

Is your final film to be projected or for YouTube?

Those lighting conditions look more like a negative 250D job to me...although some of the skin tones do look really good if a little dark.

#5 Jamie Frazer Noakes

Jamie Frazer Noakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

Is your final film to be projected or for YouTube?

Hi Will! Well, when I shot the film, the idea was for it to projected, but then some of the venues are to big for even my projector - so I wanted a HD transfer.

Those lighting conditions look more like a negative 250D job to me...although some of the skin tones do look really good if a little dark.

Yes quite possibly - but even with Fuji 64T I had lots of exposure to play with - I was nowhere near wide open here. And I needed to shoot reversal as the original intention was for projection. I could have used 100D but I chose 64T.

Please see the attached photo - it is a still taken from the projected image - and compare it with the shots in the clip at 0' 19''. I love what is going on in the projected image - just not the way it looks on the transfer. I think perhaps that the lens on the transfer system adds too much contrast. The guy who did the transfer did the best he could with his set up.

According to Wittner Fuji 64T can be underexposed (rated at 100asa) and still give a great image.

Attached Images

• Girl A 4smallB.jpg

Edited by Jamie Frazer Noakes, 06 March 2012 - 01:08 AM.

#6 Miguel Loredo

Miguel Loredo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

Haven't tried this myself but everybody reports it's probably the best reversal with accurate skin tones and great colours.

#7 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

You really needed a bit of reflected fill for the closeups- a Lastolite or something like that.

#8 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Haven't tried this myself but everybody reports it's probably the best reversal with accurate skin tones and great colours.

I've always been a big fan of Velvia 50, especially for landscapes although happy with skin tones too. Shot a little of the Super 8 from Spectra but it never quite looked as good as the slides did for me, I think because of poor exposure on my part since I was using a Canon 814 Autozoom at the time.

#9 Jamie Frazer Noakes

Jamie Frazer Noakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

You really needed a bit of reflected fill for the closeups- a Lastolite or something like that.

It looks so much better projected - everyone tells me I should have used some fill on the face - I have to disagree - did you see the still I uploaded from the projected image? I love the way it looks I this is the way I wanted it to look. However the transfer I used added contrast and lost some of the brightness from the face. So in the case of shooting for particular transfer, then yes I would have needed some fill!

#10 Niall Conroy

Niall Conroy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Other
  • Ireland

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

looks beautiful! What camera did you shoot it on? The trusted Elmo?

#11 Jamie Frazer Noakes

Jamie Frazer Noakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

looks beautiful! What camera did you shoot it on? The trusted Elmo?

Hi Niall! Thanks! I shot this with my Canon 814xl-s.
How is it going with your camera?

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc