3 replies to this topic

#1 Dane Cannon

Dane Cannon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

I just finished reading a book on George Hurrell, and was surprised to find out that the very first light he set was the rim light, hair light, kicker, whatever you want to call it. In fact, he invented the boom light stand (though he failed to patent it). Just wondering what preferences people have for this (and yes, I know it's situation dependent and medium/camera dependent). Horizontal angle? Vertical angle? One thing George Hurrell really did a light was to have the hottest part of the overhead hair light right along the subjects part. If it's just a sliver of a rim, I don't mind if it's totally blown out, but if it's bigger, I try to keep some detail. How many stops over key? Soft vs hard? Soft rim lights tend to be a little more forgiving in terms of placement. If they spread too much, I'll throw on an eggcrate. Anyway, it's something that I've found particularly tricky, so was interested to hear how others approached the rim light.

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

I havent heard of George Hurrell, but i if possible will always set the back light first ! If you are shooting a exterior you always use the Sun as your main Backlight Key So as i say if possible the same thing in a interior . So heavy back light with soft fill from the floor ? or lots of white bounce . Thats just me lots of Cinematographers dont like back light . So its a matter of taste .

#3 Paul Maibaum ASC

Paul Maibaum ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 163 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

http://www.google.co...iw=1399&bih=809

#4 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Thank you Paul for that link . Backlight is even more important in lighting B+W . I think i may be lucky in that i have lit of B+W films.

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

The Slider

CineTape