Haris Mlivic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Stockholm

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

Hello!

My name is Haris, long time reader, first time poster on this forum :)

I'm DOPing a commercial later this month that will be shot on Alexa. We decided to go for a zoom lens mainly because of (production) speed and also because the director is kind of spontaneous.

Anyway, I've been looking at some lenses, and in my mind the choice comes down to Angenieux Optimo 17-80mm or Arri Alura 18-80mm. Fairly good zoom-range, both very high quality, not too big. Although I will be doing tests with both of them soon, I was kind of curious to hear if anybody here has any thoughts or experiences with them?

The Optimo is more expensive to hire here in Stockholm, but this is not an issue.

#2 Jon Chema

Jon Chema

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Hello!

My name is Haris, long time reader, first time poster on this forum :)

I'm DOPing a commercial later this month that will be shot on Alexa. We decided to go for a zoom lens mainly because of (production) speed and also because the director is kind of spontaneous.

Anyway, I've been looking at some lenses, and in my mind the choice comes down to Angenieux Optimo 17-80mm or Arri Alura 18-80mm. Fairly good zoom-range, both very high quality, not too big. Although I will be doing tests with both of them soon, I was kind of curious to hear if anybody here has any thoughts or experiences with them?

The Optimo is more expensive to hire here in Stockholm, but this is not an issue.

I personally am a sucker for Angenieux glass. Just messed around with the Alura the other day and the two are identical around T3, however when you open the Alura up to T2.6 it starts ghosting weird and is a hair softer than the Optimo. Again, just my opinion. The two are very close.

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Opal