#1 Lauren Hall

Lauren Hall

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

I am in my first year at the School of Visual Arts in NYC studying film, but I'm wondering whether this is the right choice for me or if I should just start working. I recently started interning at Arri CSC where they hire most of their interns, however I would not be able to get hired full time as a student. I have done ACing and loading on student films and one paid 2nd AC job. Wondering if I would be better off working at CSC and trying to find some AC gigs rather than going to school, where I would have to wait another 3 years to start out in entry level positions. Any feedback appreciated! Would love to hear opinions from both sides- those who went to film school and those who chose the working route. Thanks! :)

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:08 AM

You should do a search in the various forums here on Annie Wengenroth. She was an A/C who worked at a rental house. She use to post here quite a lot. She became frustrated with the business, sold off her equipment and decided to do something else but her situation sounds similar to yours so perhaps her experiences might help you understand what you're getting into and avoid some of the problems she ran into that eventually caused her to quit the business. She also knew the job so her advice and insights might be of use to you. Hope that helps B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 10 March 2012 - 04:10 AM.

The Slider

Tai Audio

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets