#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

I just recently traded a car I had for a Quicksilver MX ultralight aircraft with a ton of extras including 2 extra engines and a lot of new parts. Of course, being a film maker, the first thing I thought was "camera platform!"

I've always been interested in learning to fly and have done some flying in the past on charter flights with a licensed pilot friend of mine. I did most of the cross county flying, got the chance to take off and did a couple of final approaches but as of yet haven't gotten to land so I decided I'll get a little more training and take this bird up with my KSR-1 strapped on. The cool thing about the kite is it has the best safety record of any ultralight and can be equipped with a ballistic emergency recovery parachute which I'm in the process of looking for now.

Since these things have a cruising speed of 50 MPH and a stall speed of 24 MPH ans are incredibly stable,I figure using a bungie setup mounted to the camera with my Rafcamera Konvas video tap and 3 by 5 monitor set up in a "heads up" position on the instrument panel, one could get some great footage. Hell, it has a 14,000 ft ceiling (although I believe you can't fly over 10,000 by in one of these according to FAA rules) it could be spectacular footage. Might certainly add to production value on a low budget feature particularly some low, slow sweeps over the desert. Not exactly a helicopter (they do make ultralight helicopters) BUT it could work!
I also figure the tough little Konvas could take the rigors of flight especially landings and is light enough and small enough to not be much of a factor inflight. I love that little camera! B)

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery