New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hi Everyone,

First time posting on this forum, would just like to say I really appreciate the forum, and have learned a lot from you all. Its a great community.

I'm shooting a music video soon in a studio with a white cyc. Its bigger then a lot of other music videos I have been doing so I just wanted to check in and see if anybody saw any issues with my setup.

Basically, we are shooting a performance of a 4 person band. Cyc is blown white, but I want the band to have some contrast, even if its just a 2:1, maybe 3, I still should test that out some more. I want to have a hard warm backlight where I'm going to gel some fresnels in the grid with 1/2 amber. I also want to have two maxibrutes in the shot, but not really playing. More as a prop light, I want them on dimmers, to sometimes flare camera on certain parts of the song when we bring them up.

To create a nice soft wrappy key but with some contrast, I was thinking of setting up a 12x diff and pump a 5k thru at a 30 degree from camera on camera left, a little sidey, with some soft fill, maybe a 6x with a thicker diff and a 2k closer to camera on camera right. Big key, a little further back, wil help give band freedom to move around a bit, and I won't have to worry too much about big exposure changes that way either, I'm thinking.

And thats about it, Camera will be on fisher, shooting scarlet with Canon EF glass.

Here is a lighting diagram I made up quick for my gaffer.

https://plus.google....=CKbTrPW2n53kMA

I'm also wondering with the maxi's in frame, to get that anamorphic type of horizontal flare, I've seen filters that will help accomplish this look (when not shooting anamorphic). I don't have these, and I don't think the Canon's EF glass will flare "old fashioned anamorphic" pretty flare (if you know what I mean), as they are designed not to flare. I have a few old nikon primes, maybe I'm better off trying out? Or pumping up the flare once in a while in post. How would a diffusion filter or pro mist, handle the the maxi's when I dim them up in frame certain parts of the song when they are in frame facing camera? I imagine that might give the highlight a nice glow?

Anyway, let me know if anything see seems off, and any thoughts to my questions.

Thanks very much.

#2 Toby Orzano

Toby Orzano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Electrician
  • Portland, OR

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

I would say that you are going to need more light. A 5K isn't going to make full use of a 12x12, and it's not going to light four people with room to move around. You'll also need to take measures to actually blow out the cyc. I would say bump the key up to at least a 10K and the fill to a 5K, and also pull them away from the wall a bit and light the cyc itself with a row of spacelights, skirting the fronts if necessary. You may need spacelights over the whole action area as well if you're going to be seeing a lot of the floor beneath the talent.

Edited by Toby Orzano, 19 March 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#3 Tom Oceanak

Tom Oceanak

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for your advice Toby. I actually shot it this weekend, and you were right about more key. I punched 2 5ks through lt. grid. And I lit the cyc with about 6 2k cyc lights, and I only had one space light overhead for the floor, where if I did it over again I would have used 3.

I had 3 2k fresnels with medium amber for a backlight, which also was not as strong as I wanted, so I would have made that punchier in retrospect as well. live and learn.

Thanks again.

- Tommy

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Willys Widgets