Cesar Rubio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Mexico/Wisconsin

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

I think this might be the first 2-D movie shot entirely with a MVC:

I thinks that is a Prosilica GX-1910c camera.(1080/60p)

http://www.alliedvis...-gx/gx1910.html

That Kodak 2/3" CCD sensor produces some very nice images, I took these video (grabs) in January of 2010 with a Prosilica CE-1910c camera: (1080/30p)

https://picasaweb.go...gCP6E7dyDpov7dg

CR.

#2 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

"...gives you an old-fashioned look?" Sorry, no. Like all digital imaging devices the images are far too clean. And to me, it looks like the images that are produced are a cross between high-end HD and mediocre mini-DV. It's almost as if they weren't sure what they wanted it be when they built it.

#3 Joshua Hill

Joshua Hill
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

They say very clearly that this is shot with the digital bolex, a crowd sourced 2k raw digital camera prototype. It's even the digital bolex's vimeo channel.

#4 Cesar Rubio

Cesar Rubio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Mexico/Wisconsin

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

They say very clearly that this is shot with the digital bolex, a crowd sourced 2k raw digital camera prototype. It's even the digital bolex's vimeo channel.

Did you watch the video in my first post?

People at DVXuser are saying that they used a Prosilica GX-2300c but they are wrong, the Bolex will have the 2/3" 1080p Kodak CCD sensor...found in the GE-1910c and GX-1910c Prosilicas.

CR.

#5 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1597 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Have a look at this behind-the-scenes grab:

http://img162.imagev...p_122_388lo.jpg

It's quite clearly a Prosilica GX camera. Which is fine, the digital Bolex is obviously more of a concept at this stage than a working camera, and you can't build a digital camera prototype from scratch.

#6 Joshua Hill

Joshua Hill
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

Then I find this very dishonest of them to claim through the entire video that the footage we are seeing is from their prototype camera when they are simply shooting through an existing system.

It's quite clearly a Prosilica GX camera. Which is fine, the digital Bolex is obviously more of a concept at this stage than a working camera, and you can't build a digital camera prototype from scratch.

#7 Cesar Rubio

Cesar Rubio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Mexico/Wisconsin

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Using another camera some people call it "proof of concept"...to prove the quality of the sensor they have in mind to use in their own camera.

But one thing is to use an existing camera system and another very different to make one form scratch. And especially from going funded to deliver in 6 months a finished product.

Ikonoskop lasted like 3 years or so to finish their A-Cam with such Kodak 2/3" CCD sensor...and at $10K or so.

The Sparta guys from Spain were working with the same sensor and they were aiming to deliver a complete camera for $5K...it seems they went belly up.

Unless the Bolex D16 guys can built a quick system like I did at the beginning of 09, I don't think it will be delivered as promised.

See my camera, it was the first 720/24p Uncompressed Raw camera system! (with a Sony 2/3" CCD sensor)

720/24p Uncompressed Raw Camera

Ah and they need to apply a gamma curve in the camera, otherwise all the preview will look too dark straight from the sensor...and that means more power needed inside the camera. So if they are only aiming for the simplest system, this will be a huge problem shooting in interiors.

CR.

#8 Joshua Hill

Joshua Hill
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

I think when talking about a from-scratch camera system using a "proof of concept" sensor test isn't enough. Think about the multitudes of problems the camera could have. When they don't have a complete camera, even shooting on the same sensor isn't a "proof of concept," it's an entirely different camera system. Of course their sensor works: it's made by a huge company. But how would it interact with rest of their supposedly custom hardware?

In my mind, saying that you're shooting on the camera that you invented but shooting on an already existing product is dishonest. Particularly since I never once hear them use the term "proof of concept" in the video that was posted. They kept saying they shot on the Digital Bolex and this was the first short they shot on it and the reason they chose the material was because of the Digital Bolex, etc., etc.

Part of being a proof-of-concept is to ADMIT it is a proof-of-concept. But I don't think this falls into that category.

Also, from reading how the creators of the Digital Bolex speak about the camera, it seems that they have a pipe dream with no real technical knowledge of how a camera should work.

#9 Cesar Rubio

Cesar Rubio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Mexico/Wisconsin

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Here is another MVC Cinema system:

One Cam

The Drama camera from Greece was already a prototype and it worked well (same Kodak 2/3" CCD):

Drama 1080p Camera

What happened to Otis Grapsas?

CR.

Edited by Cesar Rubio, 16 March 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#10 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

OT, but that image host has some pretty unpleasant popups.

#11 Cesar Rubio

Cesar Rubio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Mexico/Wisconsin

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

It seems that they indeed used a GX-2300c camera with a Kodak 1" CCD, but it has the same pixel characteristics as the Kodak 2/3" CCD of the GX-1910c.

CR.

#12 Otis Grapsas

Otis Grapsas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Athens, Greece

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

What happened to Otis Grapsas?

Not following the web much, been very busy.

Abel Cine

CineTape

Opal

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery