AndreaAltgayer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Johannesburg, South Africa

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hi everyone,

Please can you give me a few tips on how to compile a decent showreel.

I am very happy working at my current TV channel.I have been working here for 5 years, but I am at a stage where I am beginning to itch and scratch for bigger and better things. I am contemplating a move to other international TV networks. For now, i don't mind staying put - the global economy is still uncertain and I know that there really may not be that many jobs out there for TV camera operators, but I think it would be a good idea to start marketing myself.

I have been working in the South African film and TV industry for 8 years now, and have built up a good reputation in a very small industry. Up until now, I haven't really had to fall back on using a showreel - I got most of my jobs through word of mouth. However, by marketing myself to international TV channels, I would be marketing to total strangers. As you can imagine, I have heaps of excellent footage that I could use, but how do I put it all together?

I know I should make it short, but there is so much good footage, that it is difficult to make it less than 5 min long!:)

Also, I have been operating a jib since September last year, in addition to veing a camera operator. Should I include my jib work in my showreel, or do an entirely separate showreel?

Also, what are the pro's and cons of submitting your showreel online? I know of people who have used a website called Vimeo.com to submmit theirs, but how safe is it? I am sure that I could reach more people that way, but the last thing I want is somebody copying my work.

Any tips are welcome!

Thanks!

Regards,

Andrea

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Opal