Compiling a showreel

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AndreaAltgayer

AndreaAltgayer
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hi everyone,

Please can you give me a few tips on how to compile a decent showreel.

I am very happy working at my current TV channel.I have been working here for 5 years, but I am at a stage where I am beginning to itch and scratch for bigger and better things. I am contemplating a move to other international TV networks. For now, i don't mind staying put - the global economy is still uncertain and I know that there really may not be that many jobs out there for TV camera operators, but I think it would be a good idea to start marketing myself.

I have been working in the South African film and TV industry for 8 years now, and have built up a good reputation in a very small industry. Up until now, I haven't really had to fall back on using a showreel - I got most of my jobs through word of mouth. However, by marketing myself to international TV channels, I would be marketing to total strangers. As you can imagine, I have heaps of excellent footage that I could use, but how do I put it all together?

I know I should make it short, but there is so much good footage, that it is difficult to make it less than 5 min long!:)

Also, I have been operating a jib since September last year, in addition to veing a camera operator. Should I include my jib work in my showreel, or do an entirely separate showreel?

Also, what are the pro's and cons of submitting your showreel online? I know of people who have used a website called Vimeo.com to submmit theirs, but how safe is it? I am sure that I could reach more people that way, but the last thing I want is somebody copying my work.

Any tips are welcome!

Thanks!

Regards,

Andrea

Technodolly

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc