Chai Rolfe

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

Hi,

I'm on the last leg for my dissertation and thought I might as well try my luck at getting some unique insights into the subject. The title is:

To what extent can it be argued that the cinematographers of the early Golden Age of Hollywood were the 'real cinematographers' of film history, and that due to the absence of technological interference from digital technology such as Digital Intermediates, they commanded more control over the image?

My question for anyone that is willing to give an insight on the subject is: On a purely technical level, what would you change about the Digital Intermediate process to retain more control over the image?

Thanks for reading this far. Any comments at all would be greatly appreciated. (And don't worry, you're not writing my dissertation, I'm already at my word limit but just feel some of the quotes I've incorporated are too similar)

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19762 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hi,

I'm on the last leg for my dissertation and thought I might as well try my luck at getting some unique insights into the subject. The title is:

To what extent can it be argued that the cinematographers of the early Golden Age of Hollywood were the 'real cinematographers' of film history, and that due to the absence of technological interference from digital technology such as Digital Intermediates, they commanded more control over the image?

My question for anyone that is willing to give an insight on the subject is: On a purely technical level, what would you change about the Digital Intermediate process to retain more control over the image?

Thanks for reading this far. Any comments at all would be greatly appreciated. (And don't worry, you're not writing my dissertation, I'm already at my word limit but just feel some of the quotes I've incorporated are too similar)

This isn't a technical issue, mainly a contractual issue. Cinematographers need to be considered as important to the color-correction process as the colorist is, and need to be paid to supervise it. Beyond that, the ability of people in power over the cinematographer to screw up the image has always existed and technology isn't going to fix that.

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

the ability of people in power over the cinematographer to screw up the image has always existed and technology isn't going to fix that.

I'd like more blue.

R,

#4 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Hi,

Interesting question.

On my last few projects, there hasn't been the budget for 1st class DI, so I've learned to do the grading myself, with the tutelage of a very good colorist. In this way I've been able to retain control over the image, and get paid at the same time. I'm not sure I'd do it again, if we can employ a great colorist, but my understanding of the process and camera characteristics has improved tremendously.

The Slider

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Tai Audio

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies