Mareks Manguzis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hello.

I'm a new guy here and this is my first post.
I'm a 17 year old guy and lately I've become really interested in filming, writing, editing etc.
It all started when I signed up to my schools media club ~ half a year ago. I've grown big interest to everything related to cinematography.

I don't work with awesome cameras, but I guess they're good enough for a beginner like me. Currently we have Panasonic ag-hmc41, but I'm planning on getting a DSLR next summer. Currently I'm planning to make a short film with me and my friend. Now, I've had some experience with camera and we're also planning to build the 14$ DIY Steadicam.

I've seen a lot of videos/tutorials with loads of tips around the internet. I was wondering about any good books and maybe some internet resources. Particulary about making short films. Could you give me some resources/book names/tips on where to start. There are so many books to read and it get's confusing.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

It depends on what you mean by books on making short films. There are many aspects to the short, the actual making, then there is the writing, distribution etc. Many of the books seem to cover one or other aspect of the subject, but are perhaps not so hot on the others. You have to decide on which aspect interests you.

Perhaps a good way to start is to learn about the storytelling aspect first, because you need to understand that part to be a good cinematographer, director, editor etc.

#3 Mareks Manguzis

Mareks Manguzis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

I'm more into the filming part and I would love to read on how to improve my skill.
Then again for making a short film without an actual crew I should read on filmmaking. Scriptwriting etc.

So, could you recommend books on:
Camera techniques.
Writing a movie script/storytelling.

(Hopefully for an intermediate beginner that likes to try out new stuff)

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

The camera techniques don't change for a short film or a long form film. Here's a list for cinematography: http://astore.amazon...ing=UTF8&node=1

A good fun opening book on scriptwriting is "Adventures in the Screen Trade" it's not about shorts. http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/0446391174

Also Syd Field's book.
http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/0440576474

Shorts are different to features, so perhaps a more specialized one.

http://www.amazon.co...33302160&sr=1-3

#5 Daniel Larry

Daniel Larry

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

Hello.

I'm a new guy here and this is my first post.
I'm a 17 year old guy and lately I've become really interested in filming, writing, editing etc.
It all started when I signed up to my schools media club ~ half a year ago. I've grown big interest to everything related to cinematography.

I don't work with awesome cameras, but I guess they're good enough for a beginner like me. Currently we have Panasonic ag-hmc41, but I'm planning on getting a DSLR next summer. Currently I'm planning to make a short film with me and my friend. Now, I've had some experience with camera and we're also planning to build the 14$ DIY Steadicam.

I've seen a lot of videos/tutorials with loads of tips around the internet. I was wondering about any good books and maybe some internet resources. Particulary about making short films. Could you give me some resources/book names/tips on where to start. There are so many books to read and it get's confusing.

These are the best three:
Kal Bashir's 2000+ stage Hero's Journey And Transformation Through A New World / State
Joseph Campbell's Hero With A Thousand Faces
Christopher Vogler's Writer's Journey

Then there's:
Blake Snyder's Save The Cat
John Truby's Anatomy of a Story
Syd Field's Screenplay
Robert McKee's Story
Aristotle's Poetics for Screenwriters

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets