#1 craig bass

craig bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

Hello everybody.

The question I am about to ask may seem a bit naive, but as I am self taught in the art of lighting (and still very much a novice) I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to help me out. My question is: how can I simulate a light coming from a practical source in frame (say, a desk lamp) without A) lighting up the fixture itself; B) casting a shadow of the fixture; and C) motivating the direction of the shadows. This far I have been attempting to shine a beam in the same direction as the practical, from behind it. This always causes the practical to cast a shadow, which is ridiculously unrealistic, as no light casts a shadow of itself in such a fashion. In addition, I generally end up lighting the practical itself within the beam, causing it to be too "hot" or "lit". I am attempting to work with a scene where a lamp is right next to an actor on a desk, and cannot seem to figure out how to make this work. I could shoot from down low, so as to try and skip the fixture, but, considering the resulting "monster movie" appearance, I am pretty positive this is not a method employed with any frequency.

Again, any help is appreciated.

#2 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

Flag it off.

#3 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

use a heavy diffusion on the lamp and flag it off the practical.

#4 Kevin Horn

Kevin Horn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Saint Paul, Minnesota

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

I apologize if I read you incorrectly, but you're trying to motivate light from a practical desk lamp correct? And your problem is that when you set up a light it's too hot or directional, creating an unmotivated shadow?

Key your subject with a china ball/100w bulb and throw a dimmer switch on it. This will give you a soft, shadowless key replicating what a desk lamp would bounce off of a desk onto your subject.

If that doesn't work for you try using that practical lamp to bounce off the desk into your subject's face (assuming you're lighting a person at a desk). White paper on the desk would work great for a practical bounce. Wood also looks great as a bounce, so if your desk is wooden then try just simply bouncing off the desktop.

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS