Artyom Zakharenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, Amsterdam, Moscow

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hola guys..

I'm thinking to make an investment in some good glass and wanted to hear your taste, so here it goes: What are your favourite lenses and why?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Cooke S4s; because they are spectacular; warm, but not overly so, sharp, but very pictorial still, well matched, well built, and a breeze to work with. I'd also say the S5s should be as good if not better (with their indiglo illumination on the lens) but I haven't yet had need to use them.

I also very much so liked the Ultra Primes, from Zeiss, but I find them slightly cooler and more clinical.

#3 Jaron Berman

Jaron Berman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, NY

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Lenses are a bit like paintbrushes - use different brushes in different situations to get different effects. Sometimes you may want absolute sharpness and contrast, minimized flare, etc... whereas sometimes you may want "creamier" gradations, more flare or even flare of a different shape/color/softness. Every lens (even of the same model) will have slightly different feel and look, so a "which lens is best" is tough - best for what? When i bought my lens set it was based on a few factors - rentability, general sharpness and flare resistance, and price. I got Zeiss CP.2's which are excellent lenses - they may not stand up to UP's side-by-side but the do look quite good, and are light-years ahead of SLR glass - so the clients I rent them to are blown away and keep coming back. I LOVE cooke zooms - the Cxx is one of the finest pieces of glass I've ever seen though it's an awkward range for me in terms of zooms. I like the S4's but I personally prefer the older Ultraprimes in a lot of ways, maybe because they're just less clean overall.... more interesting. I'd love to get hold of some K35's as I've never personally used them - though I shot some Canon FD lenses on the AF100 and always enjoyed the look. So many many options, it's hard to know what's the "right" set. Superspeeds seem to always be in demand, and I find my CP.2's to always be in demand (because of flexibility and surprisingly good optical quality). If it's for yourself, you may find a set that looks great to you and your style - K35 for example - that may not be a hot rental item. Or maybe you need to find a compromise that can rent while you're not using them - in which case you need to take market demand into consideration. Truthfully though, the best way to know is to shoot some footage - go to a rental house and roll off some tests in the hard situation - extreme contrast, no contrast, lights in shot, window in shot, all different stops - focus racks - try and make each lens fail in optical quality to know how far you can push them. Most lenses perform about the same when in "studio" conditions - with very slight variations. Where you'll start finding your preference is wide-open while pulling focus with light hitting the lens. We can spout off poetic about this or that, but it's your brush - you need to see the options side-by-side with your own eyes.

#4 Artyom Zakharenko

Artyom Zakharenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, Amsterdam, Moscow

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Yes, i was thinking about the CP2 aswell, or the Panchro's, but theyre twice the price... guess im gonna test each one of them, will post some results soon

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

The Slider

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products