Photo

How have films changed over the last 20 years?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 785 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Anybody with any ideas?

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4253 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

This is a sweeping generalization....but as I watch TCM, it's clear to me that the quality of films has gone down in the last 30 years, not up.

I'll come back when I have more time to cite examples :)

R,

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4099 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

the biggest problem I have is the "Lowest Common Denominator" factor. Toilet humor has now become the dominate form of comedy. There is no clever, well written comedy. EVERYTHING is geared to a 12 year old boy's mentality and quite frankly it gets boring REAL quick. Movies get praised as high art today that would have been panned in the 60s and 70s, the TRUE golden age of motion pictures once the Haze Code had been obliterated. Because of bigger budgets and better special effects, action has gotten better but they hang these effects on inane stories with plot holes you could fly a a formation of Airbuses through and plot twists so improbable that only an idiot, a 12 year old or an idiot 12 year old could retain the suspension of belief with (the end sequence of Fast Five comes to mind). The last really good action movie I remember seeing was Live Free or Die Hard. Dramas, particularly foreign dramas seem to be keeping their quality. The King's Speech was marvelous. There seems to be a more "real" quality to many of them. ONE category that seems to have excelled is weird little odd ball indy movies. There is some really interesting stuff coming out nowadays.

#4 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

A lot of what James said is true. Product driven product placement is prevalent. There seems to be an abundance of movies over 100 million dollars and fewer in the 10-20 and even less around 7 than there once were. I liked star driven movies with Roger Moore, Sean Connery, Robert Redford, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman and now I see Ben Stiller, Seth Rogan, and not Matt Damon, the other guy, what's his name. I see such far fetched computer generated stunt action that almost looks cartoonish.

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4099 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

a

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 17 April 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#6 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 785 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

the biggest problem I have is the "Lowest Common Denominator" factor. Toilet humor has now become the dominate form of comedy. There is no clever, well written comedy. EVERYTHING is geared to a 12 year old boy's mentality and quite frankly it gets boring REAL quick. Movies get praised as high art today that would have been panned in the 60s and 70s, the TRUE golden age of motion pictures once the Haze Code had been obliterated. Because of bigger budgets and better special effects, action has gotten better but they hang these effects on inane stories with plot holes you could fly a a formation of Airbuses through and plot twists so improbable that only an idiot, a 12 year old or an idiot 12 year old could retain the suspension of belief with (the end sequence of Fast Five comes to mind). The last really good action movie I remember seeing was Live Free or Die Hard. Dramas, particularly foreign dramas seem to be keeping their quality. The King's Speech was marvelous. There seems to be a more "real" quality to many of them. ONE category that seems to have excelled is weird little odd ball indy movies. There is some really interesting stuff coming out nowadays.

Well, that's kind of where the money is these days. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

K5600 Lighting

Visual Products

The Slider

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Zylight

System Associates

Ritter Battery

Cinelicious

rebotnix Technologies