• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

People tell me I'm in las Vegas. It's hard to tell, because of all the water coming out of the sky, and all the people running around with big coats and gloves on. Still, that chirpy music on the monorail train can only really exist in one place, so I'm willing to take it on trust that this isn't all an elaborate mockup in a field south of Hounslow.

Being as it's 9.25am on the first day, there's precious little to report yet other than that the keynote speech was dull enough that I left after 25 minutes. There's a potentially interesting chat in an hour or so called "Green Lighting on the Set", which is either about illuminating chromakey backgrounds or illuminating arbitrary objects while minimising power consumption. Either way, I'll give it a thorough listening-to and report back later.

Otherwise, there's a "Digital Cinema Standards Update" later on today, press conferences for a couple of big companies (which are likely to be dull), and something about laser projection which should be worth a look, especially given we can now get full RGB standard-definitionlaser projection in a device the size of a smartphone.

As regards the rest of the week, I will of course head over to Canon at some point and find out if the C500 is really worth the level of hype it's receiving. Tomorrow we get to find out if Panasonic or Sony have anything competitive with the C500 (given their apparent focus on mainstream broadcast and high end stuff respectively - probably not). There's some fun-looking post stuff on Monday, particularly with regard to F65 workflows and linear tape filesystem options. Monday also promises a chat with Cameron and Pace on the general subject of 3D - no prizes for predicting their attitude to it, but it'll be interesting to see if either of them are willing to acknowledge the problems with the prior art. One does one's best not to get wide-eyed at well-known people, but films like Aliens are a significant part of the reason why I'm in this field and I'd hate to end up with a negative impression.

On Tuesday, people are talking about The Hunger Games, which is something about which I still know nothing - so I'll go along, and I'll post here about it if anything happens, but I fear any resulting prose will be full of phrases like "apparently," "I'm told," and "so they say", until I'm in LA next week and have a chance to see it at one of that fair town's many excellent projection facilities. The other thing I'm sort of looking forward to on Tuesday is a simply-named series of talks called "Advanced Motion Graphics", although it's offtopic for this forum really. That sort of title can mean a lot of different things, and it's always interesting to turn round and look at the audience and see how many of them are standing open-mouthed and rapt with attention, and how many of them are saying "advanced?" while snickering behind their hands. Future NAB speakers beware: pitching "advanced" correctly is an absolute minefield.

If I'm still capable of coherent thought by Wednesday I shall do my best to report on the "DP Workshop", which looks to be very techy and not actually involve any DPs speaking.

And breakfast potatoes every day for under $5. That's what I call a schedule.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Quick update - the green lighting presentation, done by Ryan Fletcher of Arri, was extremely interesting and involved live demonstrations with a spectrometer of LED, tungsten, fluorescent and discharge lighting. More anon.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Quick update - the green lighting presentation, done by Ryan Fletcher of Arri, was extremely interesting and involved live demonstrations with a spectrometer of LED, tungsten, fluorescent and discharge lighting. More anon.

I'm arriving in Las Vegas tomorrow afternoon. My cross-country trip was supposed to culminate in going to the Grand Canyon today and Las Vegas tomorrow, but a freak snowstorm in Flagstaff convinced me to head on straight to Nevada.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

David, I guess you'll be here by now - not sure if our paths will cross at any point. The Flagstaff snowstorm was big enough that it made news here.

On that subject, I'm not sure if it's just an NTSC colour encoding issue to which I am not accustomed, but are American news anchors really that orange?

The breakfast potatoes have already begun to pall.

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets