marshall rose

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Im lighting tabletop with various jokers and litepanels. For some shots I need to shoot with my shutter at a 250th of a second or a 500th. When I use the lightpanels i don't get a strobbing effect (or at least a rolling bars effect) when shooting with narrow shutter. When I use the jokers I do. Sometimes I need to use the jokers depending on the situation. So anyway, whats the solution here? I've put the shutter in "angle" mode but i still can't find the exact right shutter speed to avoid the rolling bars effect. I know jokers need to be shot with shutters that are divisible by 3 or 4 cause the voltage frequency is 120, right? Anyone know a shutter angle i can use that gives me an exposure of about 250th and also one near a 500th that won't give me rolling bars when using HMIs?

thanks

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Im lighting tabletop with various jokers and litepanels. For some shots I need to shoot with my shutter at a 250th of a second or a 500th. When I use the lightpanels i don't get a strobbing effect (or at least a rolling bars effect) when shooting with narrow shutter. When I use the jokers I do. Sometimes I need to use the jokers depending on the situation. So anyway, whats the solution here? I've put the shutter in "angle" mode but i still can't find the exact right shutter speed to avoid the rolling bars effect. I know jokers need to be shot with shutters that are divisible by 3 or 4 cause the voltage frequency is 120, right? Anyone know a shutter angle i can use that gives me an exposure of about 250th and also one near a 500th that won't give me rolling bars when using HMIs?

thanks

Exposures of 1/500 will be a problem with small tungsten lights (2k or less) & HMI's may well arc. Anything over 96 / 100 fps can be problematical & you need to test what exactly works in the exact situation.

#3 marshall rose

marshall rose

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Exposures of 1/500 will be a problem with small tungsten lights (2k or less) & HMI's may well arc. Anything over 96 / 100 fps can be problematical & you need to test what exactly works in the exact situation.

anyone else got an answer?

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Opal

Abel Cine